PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm for LW9.6?

kopperdrake
01-30-2009, 04:10 AM
Hi,

I may need a renderfarm that can render out of v9.6 with HD Instance and has knowledge of cached FG radiosity - does anyone know of anywhere that is reliable?

Cheers :)

SplineGod
01-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Do you mean screamnet itself or a render controller like Butterflynet?

biliousfrog
01-30-2009, 06:55 AM
I haven't used online render farms, instead I've used the money to build my own. Give Dave at Sentral a call and ask him about the current 1u rackmount I7 deals...and tell him I sent you ;)

http://www.sentralsystems.com/

As an example:

1u SM 14" Depth 200w + Rails - Intel i7
920(4*2.6Ghz-8Mb-4.8GT/s)-6000(3*2048)DDR3
1066-80Gb SATAII Seagate-SM X8STi
1 751.00 112.65 751.00
Windows XP Pro 64Bit

Under 1000 inc. VAT and delivery.

I'm using BNR as a controller...pain free screamernet setup in minutes and easy to use controller.

kopperdrake
01-30-2009, 07:21 AM
I was meaning online farms Larry - we've only 2 x 8 cores here and didn't want to tie them up :)

Hmm Billious - that's definitely worth remembering :) Not sure how many I'll need though - the client wants photoreal in a couple of days, which will mean cached FG, HD Instance, 4,500 frames in Hi Def...last job like this I had time to buy some power inhouse, but this is a scarily short deadline - by my last reckoning, depending on the amount of volumetrics, it could be a month of rendering on one 8-core box. The daft thing is we could cut down on render time if we had more time upfront to build some fake GI look into the textures, but the deadline doesn't really allow for it. It might be that we just ask for more time :)

biliousfrog
01-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah I hear ya...it's one of those catch 22 situations. I've had potential jobs in the past that would have required either a lot of in-house render power or sending to a farm. The downside to buying in the equipment is the cost up-front and the setting up but I can't get past the thought that outsourcing it is like pouring money down the drain...of course it isn't but it's something that bothers me.

I bought a couple of Intel's barebones 1u servers a while back and installed my own CPU, HD, memory and OS. I think the total cost for a Q6600, 4gb, 80GB HD and XP64 was 700 per server. The new machines are roughly equivilant to two of those servers (and faster than my 8 core BOXX) so they'll soon pay for themselves.

...of course it isn't just the machines, you need somewhere to store them - they are noisey as hell and need to be kept cool, you need an enclosure, you'll want a gigabit switch and probably want a render controller...and you'll be responsible if one fails.

QuakeMarine1
01-30-2009, 09:05 AM
www.rebusfarm.com

I just updated to 9.6 on monday

kopperdrake
01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks QuakeMarine1 :) I'll have a look at your site over the weekend!

Aye - I know what you mean Bilious, but as most of our work is print I know it'll be sat there going out of date for a large part of the time. But it *would* be sexy to have a rack in the corner ;)

earlye
01-30-2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.respower.com/

Have LW 9.6 and HD Instance. Give my guys a call - 866-737-7697 - we're more than happy to help you get things going.

earlye
01-30-2009, 11:08 AM
... as most of our work is print ...

Be sure to check out our Split/Frame functionality, too.

biliousfrog
01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Aye - I know what you mean Bilious, but as most of our work is print I know it'll be sat there going out of date for a large part of the time. But it *would* be sexy to have a rack in the corner ;)

Well I used to have a 12u flight case full of guitar effects and amps...I'm a sucker for flashy lights and displays :D It's not quite the same but I've still got a Marshall blanking plate to liven it up a bit :rock:

earlye
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Well I used to have a 12u flight case full of guitar effects and amps

I'm jealous. I'm a horrible guitar player, but have been drooling over the idea of putting some amps into a rack and destroying what's left of my ears :rock: Now I just need some moo-lah to make it happen :cry:

trentonia
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
kopperdrake,
I have used several online renderfarms over the years and have found Respower (http://www.respower.com) to be the biggest, fastest, easiest, and cheapest to use. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There are online tutorials to help step you through the process, although it is so easy you may not even need the tutorials. I would highly recommend that you at least check them out. They have saved me tons of time, money, and effort making it easy to meet stiff deadlines. I can usually get clients to kick in a few bucks for faster renders and quicker turn around. Good luck.
Trentonia

JonW
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
A few months ago I put together the cheapest boxes I could build using a 940 & 920, both theses boxes were cheaper that my E5450 V8, & they were all built by my local computer shop, which is about 2/3 to 1/2 the price of named brands.

The 940 & 920 are both overclocked, using the stock heat sink, but I put a couple of extra fans in the boxes & an 80mm fan, cable tied on top of the ram.

They have been running 24/7 for the last 6 weeks.

My 940 is almost as fast as my E5450 V8.

If you need some serious number crunching. Put some no frills bare bones boxes together, you may even have a few old copies of XP lying around.

I have put some render times on:

http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3&scene=39

Use Matt Gorner’s brilliant PDF tutorial (there is a video as well but use the PDF first & the video as secondary reference), make sure you follow it to the LETTER, CAREFULLY and SLOWLY & have a very CLEAR mind! Things are in slightly different places for 9.6 but the set up is still the same principle.

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/gorner/3.html

Best thing is just set this up now & add your cheap boxes as you acquire them. Once you have set up a Master computer with it’s own Node & one extra Node (total 2 computers), you can copy & paste Lightwave & Node (“.bat” file & change Node to 3, 4 or 5 etc depending on the number of additional computers you are adding) to each new computer as required.

ScreamerNet is simple in what it does but at least one is not forking out any extra money, & it does the trick (as said before follow to the LETTER, do your Master & Node & one extra Node first, & you will get your head around it).

All_files_images_&_object_names_must_NOT_have_gaps_in_their_names. You will have to to fix up all your naming protocol it there are gaps.

I can’t comment on “HD Instance”.

JonW
02-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Forgot to add....
Make sure you have enough ram on each computer so you are not using virtual ram, or render times go through the roof, render farm (each node) or one computer, same thing, enough ram.

jaxtone
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
So how did it go?

Which supplier did you chose and how did you experience the procedure by the means of purchasing, communication, speed, cost and delivery?

Hi, I may need a renderfarm that can render out of v9.6 with HD Instance and has knowledge of cached FG radiosity - does anyone know of anywhere that is reliable? Cheers :)