PDA

View Full Version : So easy to impliment - new config names for each release

nikfaulkner
01-30-2009, 03:03 AM
how simple would this be to do?

add the version number to the .cfg files so you can have multiple versions on one machine

WITHOUT having to create cutom shortcuts etc

i think the naming changed from 8.0 to 9.0

would make things a lot easeier when upgrading etc

n.

Bytehawk
01-30-2009, 04:43 AM
agree

-EsHrA-
01-30-2009, 06:14 AM
+10000000 ! add sum more zeros..

mlon

Lewis
01-30-2009, 07:56 AM
You can have multiple versions on single machine now. I have about 10 versions installed from 5.6c <-----> 9.6. At least on windows :D. Just point LW to it's config files in your LW directory i.e. Lw 9.0/configs, Lw 9.6/configs and it'll work just fine. You need to add small text line into icon/startup and LW knows where to search for configs so each version uses it's own configs.

here is one of my setups for 9.5
C:\LightWave95\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:\LightWave95\configs
C:\LightWave95\Programs\modeler.exe -cC:\LightWave95\configs

evenflcw
01-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Those switches only work when starting LW from those shortcuts. If you want to be able to start LW just by double-clicking an LW file you'll also have to edit the file type aswell. And you'll have to do this everytime you install a new version if you want to stay updated. The switch was a poor solution from the start.

Personally I think it is better to keep the config filenames constant and instead, automatically create a unique directory for each version/build. Then settings are kept separate and copying from one build to another is as easy as dragging and droping from one folder to another. No need to rename each file. I wrote a lengthy post about it here, and similar issues: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85241&highlight=config (sorry for small hihjack; but consider it a lenghty argument for imho better suggestion).

-EsHrA-
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
You can have multiple versions on single machine now. I have about 10 versions installed from 5.6c <-----> 9.6. At least on windows :D. Just point LW to it's config files in your LW directory i.e. Lw 9.0/configs, Lw 9.6/configs and it'll work just fine. You need to add small text line into icon/startup and LW knows where to search for configs so each version uses it's own configs.

yes we know! :)

mlon

Lewis
01-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Since 9.6 has Drag and drop function i don't see big deal in double click on file nor do i use it. Click on LW icon and drag scene/object and VOILA.

nikfaulkner
02-02-2009, 12:15 AM

yep, i do this a lot myself. it would be nice to not HAVE to do this and let lightwave sort itself out.

surley removing the need for custom config shortcuts is better than a "workaround" fix? (even if you do seem to enjoy having to do it :D )

Lewis
02-02-2009, 12:25 AM
It's the matter of simple select/copy/paste form previous LW icon/version and changing 9.3 to 9.5 or 9.5 to 9.6 and so on. It's really 10 seconds job/fix and it works as intented so i wouldn't call that workaround :) :).

I agree it would be cool to have it native in LW and I'd lave that LW makes configs directory on his own first time you start it but like i said 9.6 have drag and drop so i never double click on model/scene icon anyway, DRAG it :) :).

arsad
02-02-2009, 01:08 AM
You just have to be quite disciplined!

Lets say you have a scene open in LW 9.6 and you want to change
something on a model with modeler 8.5 because this wonderful free
plugin you use hasn't been updated yet.

You have to close Layout 9.6 AND the Hub and then you can open
modeler 8.5 to make the changes. Then you have to close modeler 8.5
AND the Hub and then you can reopen Layout 9.6.

Your hub gets confused if he has to many and different LightWaves
to deal with. Because that would means crashes and other oddities.

So if you are not very disciplined, you're better off not working like that.

Lewis
02-02-2009, 01:18 AM
or you can add "-0" to that equation to disable HUB starting :) ;).

arsad
02-02-2009, 01:27 AM
But If you like to work with the hub... and still need to use several versions of LightWave you have to be disciplined!

jin choung
02-02-2009, 01:43 AM
great request...

especially if lwx is gonna be a break into a new kind of lw, we're gonna want to be able to call upon older lw's if we want and lw should be able to "sort itself out" whether it's in installation or keeping its configs in order or even with HUB... identify what versions of lw are running and invoke the PROPER version of the hub.

the extremely manual process of having the user make sure everything works out is just such a turn off. i mean come on, it's 2009.

jin