PDA

View Full Version : Render Times

Morba
01-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Simple scene with a volumetric light and HV particle emitters. What is the expected render time per frame for a ASUS MOBO Q6600 CPU and 4G RAM?
(Ballpark of course). Light and HV are moving.
With render subdiv set to 3 I'm looking at approximatley 45min per frame render time. With the render subdiv to 1 the render time 35 min. Are these render times within expected limits.

Glass Logo and no backdrop. Reflections on. No Radiosity or Global illumination for the scene. For the most part, a default render setup

Dexter2999
01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
What are your lighting settings? Indirect Bounces? Ray Recursion limits? They can erally increase render times.

Morba
01-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Ray trace is set to four. I just turned of Specular and it looks like i'm still taking a beating on render times.

Giacomo99
01-30-2009, 09:32 AM
It's impossible to tell what the problem is from just reading your description. Post the scene and people might be able to give you a real answer.

Sensei
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
You have volumetric light, so it's nothing unusual.. It's very slow thing..
When you will disable it, I am betting it'll fly..
You didn't say what number of particles you're trying to render in HV, 10000 particles are rendering twice longer than 5000, and 10 times longer than 1000 etc.

toby
01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Your HV can make a huge difference too. Volume, Surface or Sprite HV? What quality setting? Also, raytrace shadows combined with volumetric lights take exponentially longer. Use shadow maps if you can.

Morba
02-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the help gentlemen. I think I figured it out. A Smiple Logo scence with 160 polys with one volumetric light. I made some changes to the Render setting turning of Occlusion and keeping the camera setting simple. Without Refraction and Reflection in the "render Options" my render times were approximately 8 to ten seconds. The logo is two sided Glass, so with Refraction and Reflection enabled in the Render properties my Renders are now comming in at about minute and a half. I removed the HV emmiter, but I don't think that was my problem, unless HV are still calculated when not in the scene. Anyway it's working, and thanks again for the input