PDA

View Full Version : OBJ groups - how to exported from Modeler?

ben martin
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi,

Ok, I need to export “OBJ” file format objects (mesh) containing “Groups” info.
If I understand it correctly, “OBJ groups” are almost like “LWO Parts”.
Many can understand it like mesh surfaces, but I guess surfaces are one thing completely different from groups in OBJ file format.

Unfortunately when I export a mesh from Lightwave Modeler to “OBJ” (containing parts done in Modeler), the application DAZ Studio does not recognize any groups in the OBJ exported mesh.

Any idea?

JeffrySG
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
In the preferences of the latest LW there are a bunch of different OBJ export options. Try some different setting to see if the file imports the way you need it to.

Silkrooster
01-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Are you flattening the objects down into a single layer?

ben martin
01-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Are you flattening the objects down into a single layer?

Yes, all happens in the layer 1.
But I guess I need to clarify something, when I'm talking about Modeler "Parts" I'm not talking about objects assembled in different layers... what I'm talking about is the modeler command found in the tab "DETAIL -> PARTS -> CREATE PART".

JeffrySG, I'll try to fuss around with those new OBJ Preferences.
To be honest, when I saw those OBJ xxxx labeled buttons I never realized that such label were related to the OBJ file format... I always assumed that they were related with "Lightwave Object mesh" instead. 8~

LightFreeze
01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
use the obj zbrush mode and change your parts into selection sets, when you export it will ask if you want to save sets as groups.

If you import in that mode you will get groups into selection sets however you will not get materials,you need Dodgys mtl loader for that

ben martin
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the tip! :)
Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

arrow1234
03-10-2009, 10:28 PM
i want to know how to import obj into modeller, anyone?
i dont see the plugin in the plugin menu

*O* nevermind, you can just open LWO object and load the obj just fine lol

IMI
03-11-2009, 07:41 AM
You can also drag and drop object and scene files into LW now, BTW.

LightFreeze
03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
i want to know how to import obj into modeller, anyone?
i dont see the plugin in the plugin menu

*O* nevermind, you can just open LWO object and load the obj just fine lol

be very careful with this, if you save the object modeler will save it as a lwo but overwrite your .obj file,you must Export it