PDA

View Full Version : Back online!

rakker16mm
01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
This may be off topic but any-who... an individual who happens to live in the same house as I do... decided to start a new project involving our wireless router and DSL. This project remains unfinished as is the case with so many other project started by the same individual.... :P Also nearly every project he has started seems to affect my situation negatively and this one is no different.

Old system: Plug in D-Link USB Ethernet Adaptor > Instal Driver > Configure settings AUTOMATICALLY > Enjoy internet access

New system: Plug in D-Link USB Ethernet Adaptor > Instal Driver > Configure settings Manually because of system improvements > System still not working > Doh! signal is too weak for a stable connection > build reflector for D-Link > Note slight improvement > Connection still not stable > Build more accurate parabolic antennae using a drafting program, foam core, aluminum tape and old wine crate > Copy ip settings from another computer in the house > Now enjoy internet access.

geothefaust
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
I know someone who tried the same thing, of course, it too backfired. :(

Good luck with your situation, you will soon be tempted to murder him... I suggest resisting the temptation. :D

rakker16mm
01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I had my chance.... when he was chopping down the tree in the back yard, at the dinner hour, without bother to limb it first. Doh but my good nature got the better of me and in spite of my better judgement I impressed upon him what a bad idea that was. If only I had kept my mouth shut.

At least the only knife work I have been doing is on the foam core I used to make my antenna :D

BigHache
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow, I'm sure there was pain involved, but you gave me a good laugh out of that one.

Maybe 10, 50 years from now you can look back on this...

I guess this could be catagorized as "Build a 'as good as' mousetrap".

akademus
01-31-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm more glad I put wlan router now.

Cost me some 40$ then and saved me a lot of foil!

rakker16mm
01-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Well the parabolic reflector has now been officially retired. As of today I am hooked up directly to the router via ethernet cable. What an improvement! Now I don't have to re aim the antenna every time the wireless gets moved. Even better my computer automatically configures the connection so I don't need to worry about ip address, router, subnet mask yada yada yada.

geothefaust
02-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Much better! The home made parabolic route might seem cool at first... But if the person doing it doesn't know what they are doing, any factor along the way could be off, and screw up the whole thing.

Glad you got it back to normal there. :thumbsup: