PDA

View Full Version : Help : Deformation

3DeeNut
01-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Hey guys, i am once again stuck and need a little help from the LW community. I am working on imprinting a logo on a chain this time, but this problem I've had for a while. I have always used workarounds to solve the issue, but this time i don't have the ability.

Here is the problem...
I need to deform a shape (in this case a chain) but when i do the deformation the deform pushes through the entire object (embossed on top, extruded through bottom), not just the top front face. So, to deal with this, I make a top half and a bottom half and make them on two layers. Then I simply apply the deformation to the top half. This all works great because I get the desired effect. The problem is it is now there are 2 parts (smaller problem) and a visible seam (Big Problem). Also, it is not really always convenient to have it in 2 halves. When I was doing pill embossing for a medical company this problem was huge but it was livable. On this project I cant really fudge it, I need it to be smooth and id really like the chain link to be whole... not 2 halves. Any suggestions? Most importantly, I need this to be seamless in look, i don't mind if it is two halves but a single piece with embossing on the top only would be obviously best.

Thanks a ton.

cagey5
01-29-2009, 09:13 AM
You can highlight just the polys you want to be working on rather than build them in a separate layer. If no polys are selected then they are all selected as the LW saying goes or have I misunderstood you?

Just spotted an error in my answer.... thinking ;)

Have you tried adjusting the falloff of [an image I presume] deformation object along the y scale so it doesn't reach the other side. You can type in values over 100%

3DeeNut
01-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I am doing the deformation in Lightwave, not modeler... Is there a way to do this in modeler? Maybe i'm doing this the wrong way all together...

How I have doe this is as follows....
1. Created a chain link as desired by my client and art director.
2. Saved and brought into lightwave as 2 layers (top of link and bottom of link)
3. Applied a deformation to layer 1 (top of link) with the logo embossed on it.

What I would have expected possible and have tried with no luck.
1. Created chain as a whole part (1 layer)
2. Applied a weight map to the areas I wanted to defore (unfortunately there seems to be no place to apply deformations to a weight map)

also tried
1. Created chain as a whole part (1 layer)
2. Applied a falloff on the texture along the y axis to have the texture not push through. (Falloff seems to be ignored on deformations????)

cagey5
01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
The alternative would be to save transformed object take it back into modeller and cut/paste the good section back in.

cagey5
01-29-2009, 09:26 AM
The falloff works for me but I needed to type in 150-200% to get the effect I was looking for.

3DeeNut
01-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Ok, that would be great, how would I do that? How can I export a deformed object back to modeler? I will try the falloff too. THanks for your help btw.

cagey5
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Along with your other save options there is a 'save trans object' option. That will save your model in its deformed state.

3DeeNut
01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Wow, that is one unwieldy object now. Ugh...

Why can't there be a way to apply to a weight map area only.:screwy:

JeffrySG
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Have you thought about using a UV map on just the area you need the deformation? Then it will only apply to that area in the UV. It seems to me that this solution would help with some of those issues. You would have to make sure there is no deforming going along the edge of the UV map though.

Dexter2999
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
You couldn't do this with a bump map? Why a weight map?

JeffrySG
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
If you can't get a good solution this way, you could also just model the text into the chain link. It all becomes high poly at render time anyway.

cagey5
01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
A way to use your weight map is to put a gradient above your image layer as an alpha.
Set you weight map 100% where you want the deformation and zero everywhere else.
Add a gradient. Input parameter 'weight map', blending mode 'alpha'
Have two keys one at zero with value o
and one at 100 with value '1'. set as 'step' smoothing

3DeeNut
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Yea a weight map would be perfect. Im just not sure how to implement it. I have a weight map applied to the area i want deformed, but how do i tell lightwave to only apply the deformation to the area of the weight map?

I have attached pictures showing what i was doing. I am sure its all wrong, but maybe you guys could tell me wha to do...

3DeeNut
01-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I think ive done what you were talking about.... It does not seem to work... Am I missing something?

Thank you guys so much for your continued help by the way.

3DeeNut
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Awesome! Ok, it must have been a bug or something tweaky cause I just closed and re-opened the texture editor and I noticed that though the "step" parameter was selected it was showing a gradient. I switched it back and forth and step axctually enacted and poof! Perfect!

Thank you guys soooo much. My boss is breathing down my neck and wants this done asap and now i can actually do it.