PDA

View Full Version : Running into a collision problem

egearbox
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a simple text object that I'm trying to get to drop onto another text object and roll off in a specific direction. According to the laws of physics, it should roll off in the +X direction, but instead the CollisionFX plugin kicks it off in the -Z direction! Very odd. I've tried every combination of settings I can think of and nothing seems to make a difference except that sometimes the object is kicked in the +Z direction instead of -Z.

This should be simple, but somehow I just can't master it. I've played with the settings (as stated), played with the objects, increased the poly count to ridiculous levels, and ... nothing. Same bizzare behavior, only minor differences.

Attached is a wireframe of the animation - any comments or suggestions would be VERY welcome.... <sigh>.... <bangs head against wall>....

Axis3d
01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I tried a quick setup like you have and unfortunately, there are some quirks about how LW calculates the collisions. I wasn't able to get anything better.

kmacphail
01-30-2009, 07:55 PM
If you run 32bit Windows then an option is to try ODEfL, usually the results are fairly realistic.

http://www.kevinmacphail.com/2.html

Cheers,

-K

egearbox
01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I fixed the collision problem by having the "O" collide with a simple hidden box as it drops. Solved the problem, but I wish one of the gurus on the forum could shed some light (no pun intended) on this. I wrestled with it for several hours.

Sekhar
01-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Widen the L and make the collision Object-Advanced, and it should work. Below is a test - I've created two copies of L, one regular (rendered) and the other wider for collision only.

That's the workaround I found anyway, hope someone has a better way. Is dynamics more flaky in 9.6?