PDA

View Full Version : SSD Maglev Depot Station

AN1M8R
01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm looking to get some feedback on work I did recently for a guy putting together a full length Star Wars fan film. The task was to model, texture and light the Maglev Depot Station. The train was modeled by someone else and then given to me to use in the scene. Any comments are appreciated! :thumbsup:

Matt
01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Wow, love it, especially the holographic type displays! If only maglev stations actually looked like this!

JasonMaynard
01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Looks very nice AN1M8R!

Giacomo99
01-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Looks great. My only thoughts are 1) that the holographic maps should be some color other than white—it took me a close look at the rendering to figure out what they were, and 2) the red color of the force-fields that act as doors to the train platform feels a little aggressive or dangerous to me. I'd change the color, or possibly change them to actual physical doors.

Also, regarding the holographic signs— as I'm sure you know, they don't use the English alphabet in the Star Wars universe.

AN1M8R
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Giacomo99 - Thanks for the comment. In regards to the holographic displays, I completely didn't catch the whole English vs. Galactic Text thing! Good catch! LOL! I'll have to change that before I put it on my demo reel. As for the color, it was actually requested that the displays be white. I went with a slight bluish tint but unfortunately, that's how the director wanted it.

As for the force field doors, those are actually place holders to show the director what I was going for. The compositors who will be adding the greenscreen to it will be adding effects to it later.

grn
01-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Good stuff. The train tunnel looks a bit empty. Well, the train does not catch the eye as it is quite featurelesss. Not your doing as you said. I'd slam some Star Warish pipes (+ a couple bits of greeble) to tunnel's roof and maybe some to the side walls also.

Thoseholographic projectors look quite simple... Just writing what comes to mind, feel free to forget...

AN1M8R
01-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Agren - Thanks for the comments. I just found out what I'm going to be rendering in terms of BG plates and the tunnel portion is going to be flying by so fast that the viewer won't see any of the detail anyway. I may add some detail if I plan to put this portion on my demo reel. Not sure yet...I may just use the room portion. As for the holographic images, I'll probably do a little more with those in comp. These were done strictly from Layout.

bazsa73
01-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi AN1M8R, overall feeling is ok, I like it. Maybe a little bit too sharp and clean. I like the feeling of the old serie, the worn,dirty, grimy look. Some stainspot on the floor maybe, scratches on the wall... Water leaves its marks as well. Don't need much, just a few hints that the place is used. grime tends to collect in deep recesses. Slight bumpiness here and there...
And some lights could be off or the luminosity of the light panels could vary a little bit. Smoky, darker glass panels would make the white text easier to read. Nice, thick outlines on the typo would be better, pity that the director doesn't want it that way.
And the SW font will change the whole feeling a lot. This almost could be somewhere on Earth right in our age:) Anyway, it's a good work! Yeah, and don't take seriously, these are just my impressions.