PDA

View Full Version : General responiveness

GATOR
01-28-2009, 07:49 AM
I just downloaded 9.6 and dove back into a project I've been working on. I'm seeing a very noticeable slowdown. Just simple things that were a snap before the download, such as selecting and object and moving it. it's like moving things through jello now. The model isn't too complex.

Is there some default setting for video or something that I need to change?

I'm working with a dual quad core mac (Xeon) with 4GB RAM, two Radeon X1900 cards powering two 20" screens, OS 10.5.2

Thanks for any feedback.

RudySchneider
01-28-2009, 09:01 AM
NewTek made a bunch of changes, which make it significantly different from even v9.5! If you didn't wipe your old config files, that may be a contributing factor.

What version had you been using? Did you read the installation instructions?

nino73
01-29-2009, 08:37 AM
agreed, even switching between LWM & LW is like a boot stuck in mud!

config files.... new at this, how do we remove these? not sure on the tech end. please describe what to do? I have 9.3 & 9.6 in my Mac.

bazsa73
01-30-2009, 12:40 AM
What bothers me a lot is the selection of joints and bones. It became so frustrating. I must lock all my object in the scene editor but then again I cant select them from object properties panel and so on...
And separating the joints from the bones was also quite a bad idea, well maybe some people like it but not me.

geothefaust
01-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Joints vs bones is a matter of knowing how to use them. I'd take some time to learn them first before canning the idea of using them, they are quite powerful and better in a lot of ways (a lot...) then zbones.

I must agree on selection of joints though, it was a heated debate in the beta forums for months. But once I got used to it, it hasn't niggled me as much.

geothefaust
01-30-2009, 01:09 AM

config files.... new at this, how do we remove these? not sure on the tech end. please describe what to do? I have 9.3 & 9.6 in my Mac.

Sorry I can't help you there, I'm a PC user. Hopefully a mac user can come in and help with that one. :(

Kuzey
01-30-2009, 06:58 AM

Ok, since you both 9.3 and 9.6 have you created a new set of preferences for LW9.6 to use, otherwise it will use the one for 9.3 and that could cause problems.

Inside your Lightwave3d 9.6, create a folder called "Preferences" or, you can create it inside the "sharedsupport" folder if you wish...doesn't really matter which. Now, find the "License.key" for 9.3 and copy it to the folder you just created. Then launch Modeler and layout, scan plugins etc. and the new set of config files will be created for you in this location.

Kuzey