PDA

View Full Version : What Video Editor

Apoc.3.21
01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Hello, I need a video editor that can burn dvds, previously I had ulead dvd workshop but i was looking for something different, I know that VT4 has a video editor but it doesn't burn dvds, and I also need something that can make menus for dvds. Thanks! God Bless You!

Wickster
01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm guessing for the PC right?

Adobe Premier seems to be able to burn directly to DVD. I'm not sure about custom menus because I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 right now and I haven't to the latest version (CS4). I think CS4 does custom menus.

Sony's Vegas is also another alternative.

cresshead
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
if your on a mac then imovie and idvd are amazing.

Apoc.3.21
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Yea I have a windows xp pc so anything compatible with vt4 also, but i heard that sony vegas was really good

Auger
01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Yea I have a windows xp pc so anything compatible with vt4 also, but i heard that sony vegas was really good

Definitely go with Vegas!

Apoc.3.21
01-26-2009, 01:09 PM
but is it compatible with VT4, what i mean will it be able to pass over the audio and the video from vt edit to burn it on dvd

hunter
01-26-2009, 07:51 PM
but is it compatible with VT4, what i mean will it be able to pass over the audio and the video from vt edit to burn it on dvd

I don't know about the vt4 side of things sorry. But if it's a choice between Vegas and Premiere get Vegas. Premiere is a PITA to work with now. You have to save a new project every time you want to change a project setting. It's ridiculous. IMHO.

PIZAZZ
01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Why not use SpeedEdit from NewTek to edit with???

VT4 has Ulead DVD Workshop in it already so you can use that to create your menus and author the DVD. Are you looking for something more?

You might look at DVDLabPro from MediaChance as an authoring alternative.

The biggest question is are you really looking for a video editor or are you looking for DVD authoring software.

lwanmtr
01-27-2009, 03:58 AM
I've heard that Adobe Encore (is that it?) is not too bad. I think it supports BluRay also.

DiedonD
01-27-2009, 04:43 AM
Vegas is a very friendly app. Id rather take that compared to Premiere.

And have no clue for SpeedEdit.

01-27-2009, 05:04 AM
Just DONT confuse video editing with DVD authoring - it's like comparing text editing to publication layout!
Your video editing software/hardware just has to produce DVD compatible mpg files
I find SpeedEdit does pretty good mp2 output - from any res/format project to PAL or NTSC as required

Adobe's Encore is great for authoring, you can use layered photoshop files for menu creation etc in some very nice ways, BUT you now have to buy the whole massive suite including premier to get it, which makes it VERY expensiye if you use Speededit already & know how badlky Premier sucks in comparison.

Guess I may try Vegas next!

DiedonD
01-27-2009, 05:18 AM
... which makes it VERY expensiye if you use Speededit already & know how badlky Premier sucks in comparison.

Guess I may try Vegas next!

Yes do that. Vegas is one of them love at first sight apps. User friendly, you just kinda want to have it afterwards.

The only issue I had was gathering antire scenes in into a one half made movie, and in Vista. It would crash, but it would do so just like Premiere did aswell, indicating that its Vista problem, not app problem.

Plus it worked alot better in XP!

ted
01-27-2009, 09:50 AM
We use Adobe Encore. We post exclusively with VT-SE, but Encore is great for DVD authoring.

I tried Vegas 8 because my Son's Police Department got it to do a project. He nor I liked it. (I probably didn't like it partly because it was different).
He ended up doing not using Vegas for the project.

It bites that you gotta invest in a lot of stuff to get Encore, but we use PhotoShop, After Effects and Encore anyway, so the ability to use them on two systems was worth the price for us.

dvfx
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Hello, I need a video editor that can burn dvds, previously I had ulead dvd workshop but i was looking for something different, I know that VT4 has a video editor but it doesn't burn dvds, and I also need something that can make menus for dvds. Thanks! God Bless You!

I used Sony's DVD Architect Studio. It's not an Editor but a decent DVD out program. It's pretty amazing for the price ($40). There was a full working trial that left no watermark. It's also included in the more expensive Vegas Movie Studio.

But if you like NewTek it looks like SpeedEdit outputs DVDs.

D

UnCommonGrafx
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Authoring programs make dvds, not editors.

DVDLab is one of the coolest I've seen and that's based on a price to performance ratio: it far surpasses or keeps ups with some of the more pricey alternatives.

Titus
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Authoring programs make dvds, not editors.

Adobe Premiere can burn a project into a DVD. I don't know how, though.

UnCommonGrafx
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Because it goes out and grabs the dlls from the "suite" that plugs into (forgets name of DVD program in the suite -encore is music, right?...mumble mumble...) and uses those. Or so I surmise. Could be wrong, of course. However, when one is burning one isn't editing. Picky but it lets me stand by what I've said.
Cheeky, I know...

;)

meathead
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I use TMPGEnc Authoring for DVD authoring.

I use SpeedEdit for video editing and such, export to TMPGEnc for authoring.

The reviews are always good of Tsunami software, and everyone in the video world has been using TMPGEnc for MPEG converting for years.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4.html

CC Rider
01-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I use Premiere Pro CS3 and have had nothing but good / great experiences.
but if simplicity is your thing, why not try Premiere Elements. You can edit and author from the same application and it comes with a lot of templates that you can customize for DVD menus. Not knowing how fancy you want to get...but if you want simple, this is the way to go. 'bout $100 I think...
Never used Vegas, so I can't recommend or condemn them. I hear mixed reviews on both. I think it depends on what you cut your teeth on...but I like Premiere (Pro if you can afford it) and Encore automatically comes with Premiere Pro unless that changed with CS4...as of CS3, Encore wasn't even available by itself. was only available when purchased with Premiere Pro.
Like I said, that rule may have changed by now...

good luck either way!
:D

01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Looks like Sony are treading the Adobe 'all or nothing' route
you can get the home market app (DVD studio 4.5) but it can't author Blueray and looks a bit cheesy, but if you want the proper DVD studio Pro 5.o you can only get it by buying the whole Vegas suite .
Adob want to sell you bloatware to the tune of 1500 to use their DVD authoring app. Sony seem content with about 500
Foiled again.

Apoc.3.21
01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
what about editing software that will be able to rip video from dvds?

CC Rider
01-28-2009, 07:10 PM
You will most likey need a 3rd party software to do that. At least for encrypted DVDs anyway...

02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS video converter
easiest/best I've tried
If you use speed edit it will happily rip direct to SpeedHQ codec all ready to use - Majic!

So have we got it yet?
DVD authoring software/video editing software/DVD ripping software are 3 different things.
But the B*****ds want us to buy it all as bloatware suites.

lwanmtr
02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
If you are on Mac, you can use Mactheripper to rip the dvds to your jard drive, then perian may allow you to load them into quicktime, where you can export (if you have quicktime pro)..but I havent tried that as yet.

ncr100
02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Great thread. All these beat my "realtime swapping RCA cables going into a VCR" editing.

THREEL
02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I use Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate. It's great (when it works). It handles editing and DVD authoring with templates for backgrounds, and DVD Menus. It, also, comes with a few nice transitions and editable soundtrack music. Of course, extras can be bought for a nominal fee. It runs for about $130.00 US.

I've found that some of my problems of not being able to complete a project, especially the part that involves rendering the movie and getting it to DVD, stems from not having my Hard Drive defragmented and, also, not having enough room on a Hard Drive to do things like swap files. Therefore, Hard Drive management is a must.

I have a friend, that does :lwicon: as well, that uses Vegas, and he seems to be pretty pleased with it.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

02-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Looking back & forth over this thread, and needing to start playing with Blu-ray disc authoring before someone suddenly asks for one, I don't think I'm going to let Adobe or Sony bully me into buying massive suites I don't want just to get the Blu-ray authoring package.
Best up looks like TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 at US$99.95
see demo:
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4_demo.html

In particular it's FAQ gives the information that it can read any avi for which the codec is installed on the machine, this would mean that I can keep all my editing and material in SpeedHQ and let TMPGenc Authoring Works do the disc-specific encoding - and (sorry newtek) as far as I can tell TMPGenc does better DVD compatible encoding than Speed Edit

Anyone else got experience/comment on that?