PDA

View Full Version : silly little things

biliousfrog
01-26-2009, 05:47 AM
There's loads of silly little things that bug me about Lightwave on a regular basis but they're not anything that I usually bother to complain about because I just think, 'that's a bit annoying' and move on....

But

...it's these little things that can cause you to stumble on your creative jog from A to B. They can also cause a lot of frustration to newbie's.

What I want to do is get people to list simple changes that can easily be implemented, which I suspect got forgotten about on the quest to release the next set of 'WOW' features.

biliousfrog
01-26-2009, 05:48 AM
OK, I'll start...

Recent content directories, two different places in Layout and Modeler. I can never remember which one is in the menu and which one is under the options window...why aren't they in the same place for both?

kopperdrake
01-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Oh blimey - one that I've mentioned before - in Modeler - you have two objects open, you have all their surfaces visible in Surface Editor. You increment save one as you're conscientous, and just a little paranoid, and the visible surfaces all collapse,only showing you the surfaces of the object youv'e just saved, meaning you have to go and reopen them all, again, and again, and again.

I think something similar happens when you're copying and pasting surfaces from one object to another but off the top of my head I can't remember if that's the case.

kopperdrake
01-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Whilst I'm at it...

Also in Modeler, you have several objects open, you close one and the next object shown is always the first in the list. In my head, and often in my workflow, I want the next one up in the list to be shown next. If I've opened 5several objects in a row and I choose to close one, I want the object perceived as being 'under' the object I closed as the one that is next visible, not the very first object I opened.

Matt
01-26-2009, 06:19 AM
I can tell you one that went away with 9.6. Not being able to drag gradient keys (in layered surface editor) all the way to the bottom. This bugged me for years, sooooooo glad to see that one gone!

biliousfrog
01-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Just thought of another content related thing...

You can create a new directory structure in Layout but not Modeler despite most people starting in Modeler and therefore needing to create the directories from there.

Also, it's been mentioned a million times, why isn't the additional list in alphabetical order?

biliousfrog
01-26-2009, 06:23 AM
I can tell you one that went away with 9.6. Not being able to drag gradient keys (in layered surface editor) all the way to the bottom. This bugged me for years, sooooooo glad to see that one gone!

Has that gone? I'm sure it still did that the other day but I'll have to check.

kopperdrake
01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Ooh - certainly hope the gradient bug's gone away!

Of course, many of these legacy annoyances might have their days numbered depending on the news in a few days time :D

biliousfrog
01-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Ooh - certainly hope the gradient bug's gone away!

Of course, many of these legacy annoyances might have their days numbered depending on the news in a few days time :D

Unless NewTek has completely changed their production values I doubt that. Many of these things were implemented years ago, were flawed from the start and were forgotten about because new features are deemed more important than fixing old problems....more speed and less haste

cagey5
01-26-2009, 07:27 AM
I think that view gives a little disservice to the new team. There has been a LOT of old bugs that have been squashed in recent releases. They have been activelty encouraging the beta team to dredge up long forgotten bugs so they can have a new crack at them. Those that remain I presume are deeply embedded in the old code and should therefore bemade redundant in the not too distant future.

biliousfrog
01-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I wasn't actually expecting 'bugs', more to point out interface issues and inconsistencies that were poorly designed from the outset or never implemented to their full advantage. I admit to having no idea of what's involved with interface design but I'd imagine that an intern could arrange the 'additional' list alphabetically and make the 'options' panel consistent between apps.

The team have done a great job with bug squishing in 9.6 but nobody has looked at the smaller issues that people put up with on a daily basis and have done for several years.

cagey5
01-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Yep. Can't disagree with that but hopefully that will be a thing of the past. Let's say I'm a lot more optomistic now than I have been for a long time.

Exception
01-26-2009, 09:46 AM

That's gone but the gradient editor in nodal still careens past the 1.0 point out of view... really obnoxious.

Also, alfabetized lists not alfabetized... still no 'save objects & scene' one-hit button (yes I have the script but it should be in there).

Hopper
01-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Just thought of another content related thing...

You can create a new directory structure in Layout but not Modeler despite most people starting in Modeler and therefore needing to create the directories from there.
Here...

That one annoyed the crap out of me enough to write a nice menu'd plugin for that.

Just add to your main menu as File->New Project.

Works great. It's got instructions, etc.. If you have any questions (if you use it), let me know.

DanD
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Here's one that's bugged me since LW 9.3.1 came out. You used to be able to (in modeler) grab the crossbar a lot easier. There were more active areas to grab onto to slide it around. And, if you had a pane (usually for me the upper right quadrant) turned off you could grab anywhere in the empty pane and slide the crossbar around. I used to love this feature because of the way I model I'm constantly sliding around the crossbar. Now (since 9.3.1) you can only grab a thin 2 pixel line to move the crossbar. I tell ya (not just because I'm 41) this is kinda tricky for me especially if you try to grab the center of the crossbar which seems harder then trying to grab on the horizontal or the verticle portion. Also if you have something selected and you try to grab the crossbar and you miss, the slection gets dropped! Arghhh!! (There should be a re-select button to re-select the last selection-- but that's a whole other complaint!). I posted this one before and someone from Newtek (I don't remember who, sorry) replied and said that they would look into it. I was hoping this would be fixed for 9.6. I know, this isn't a big problem and Newtek shouldn't be wasting time on such small problems but I gotta tell ya, this slows me down so much I have to go back to 9.2 to model.

Dan

DanD
01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Why is there no way (that I'm aware of) to do really fine scale adjustments to rotation and scale of a object or selection in Modeler? If you turn off grid snap you can translate with a finer resolution but it doesn't affect rotation and scaling. In layout you can rotate down to tenths of a degree (even this isn't good enough for fine adjustments) but in Modeler you can really only get down to single degrees and that's it. I usually wind up rotating something and get it close but not too much. Then I hit rotate again then hit N for numeric, type in a number like ".1" then I hit apply and if that's not enough I keep hitting apply until the thing I'm rotating has moved the appropriate amount. That's a lot of steps!!! Scaling is the same. You can only scale with whole numbers and not decimals. I usually use the same procedure as above but for scaling. Again, as far as I know there isn't some key combination to evoke fine adjustment as far as I know.

Dan

DanD
01-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I'd like to be able to nudge slections in the UV editor window with the arrow keys. When you try to do this, the slection moves in 3D space in the other windows but not in the UV space. It seems there should be a way to do this. Maybe hold down the ctrl key before you hit alt and the arrow keys? Or maybe park the cursor in the UV window and now when you use alt-arrow keys you move only the UV selection? Thanks for listening.

Dan

Matt
01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
That's gone but the gradient editor in nodal still careens past the 1.0 point out of view... really obnoxious

Yes, I wish they both worked the same, and you can't copy / paste keys in the Node editor gradient.

Matt
01-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Why is there no way (that I'm aware of) to do really fine scale adjustments to rotation and scale of a object or selection in Modeler?

Yes, this one drives me nuts everyday!

Zoom in, and you get MASSIVE increments that means you can only do fine adjustments in the Numeric panel.

JeffrySG
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
You should be able to set up custom constrain rotation angles in modeler. So when you hold the control key down during a rotation you should be able to pick the angle jumps that LW locks to. Some people don't want to lock to 15deg increments all the time!

5, 10, 11.25, 22.5 are all very useful at times too. :)

For moves too:
It would be great if we could have an area in the preferences where we would add additional degrees to constrain the movements. Such as 45deg, 22.5, 10, etc. If someone added in 45deg for example, the movement would constrained to move at every increment of 45 degrees. This would be similar to the way Illustrator has custom constrain angles.

I submitted this feature request over a year ago... maybe in v10!

JeffrySG
01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
It also always bugs me that you need to hold the constrain key down BEFORE you start your operation while modeling. Sometimes I just miss it, then need to undo and then do it again with the constraint key. If you hold the constrain key down after an operation starts it should just act like you held it down from the beginning and lock into place. :)

biliousfrog
01-27-2009, 02:11 AM
I think that snapping in general needs implementing...as far as I can tell there isn't any to speak of which is why LWCAD is so useful.

biliousfrog
01-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Morph mixer doesn't update the amount of morphs available when new morphs are added to an object in a scene.

Create object, add endomorph, load into scene, add morph mixer, animate morph...add another morph target and morph mixer will only see the original one(s).

The work-around is to add another instance of morph mixer which automatically retains the original morph animation but also adds the new morph(s), you can then delete the original version.

That gets really annoying when a new morph is needed on an object that's used in several scenes...like the one I'm now working on!

DanD
01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
To this day you still can't map a hotkey to turn on and off gridsnapping. I turn gridsnapping on and off about 100 times a day (it feels like a hundred anyway) and to have to do that through the menu system kinda sucks. I don't think you can do an lscript either but I'm not 100% sure in this.

Dan