PDA

View Full Version : Shattering Geometry

realgray
01-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Hi all. I'm trying to do some shatter effects and I can't remember how to cut geometry in this certain way. I saw it in a tutorial once but I lost the link. As an example, the tutorial showed a person taking what could have been the knife tool and cutting a box. But when the box was cut it became two boxes and new polygons were created for two whole new pieces of geometry. I want to use this technique to cut boxes from many angles creating solid pieces inside for some great shatter effects. I'm thinking it was done either using a polygon or the knife tool(with a special setting). Any chance you guys know how this is done?
Thanks,
Gray

Derrick_SA
01-26-2009, 01:09 AM
what about using the Drill or the Boolean tool ?

- Derrick

Sensei
01-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Maybe it was Proton's EasySplit video?
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/Movies/EasySplit_2.mov

realgray
01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Boolean subtract helps but it's not the right solution. I've tried the other settings but they are not working. Easysplit is on the right path only if it was a solid object and not a plane and would cut all the way through. Also when you cut into that whole object it created new polygons. Maybe it was a boolean with a setting I haven't figured out yet. Boolean subtract has gotten the closest.

realgray
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the help but I figured it out. What I was doing was getting a flat plane, cutting it up into many different pieces, and then taking that flat plane and doing a simple extrude. I would then cut and paste the individual pieces and send to layout to shatter with hardfx. Kinda like a manual "Crack-it"
Thanks for jogging it out of my memory guys.
Gray