PDA

View Full Version : exceeded 128 points in strand (failed scan)

hdace
01-25-2009, 07:23 PM
What?

I've got about 25 hair guides, made in Modeler. I tried to activate the layer in Layout and this is the message I get.

When I render the bottom of all the strands fail to render. Each guide has about 25 to 30 points.

Would someone kindly explain this to me?

Thanks, Hal

hdace
01-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Oops, should have done a search first. Which I have now done and it is a bug which can be solved by following instructions in this thread: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90190&highlight=128+points+strand

hdace
01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Strandmaker only works with splines.

This quote, from the thread above (which is locked and can't be replied to) is not correct, at least not anymore. I don't know if there's been a change, but you can run 2-point poly strands through strand maker again (after editing) and it will generate a new layer with new hair guides that do work.

This is really important to know because splines can't be edited! Try running knife through one. I often find, after running ClothFX on hair that I need to make subtle edits to the strands to get them to kink in the right place. I spent half an hour digging through old back-up files looking for my original splines only to find I couldn't edit them anyway.

hdace
01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I know talking to yourself is a sign of madness but there's no one around on a Sunday night and I just have to get this stuff off my chest!

biliousfrog
01-26-2009, 06:26 AM
It's good that you've added how it was solved, it will help others in the future.

Skonk
01-27-2009, 07:59 AM
This is really important to know because splines can't be edited! Try running knife through one. I often find, after running ClothFX on hair that I need to make subtle edits to the strands to get them to kink in the right place. I spent half an hour digging through old back-up files looking for my original splines only to find I couldn't edit them anyway.

Cant you just use "Add Points" on the splines instead of trying to Knife them?