PDA

View Full Version : save and load layout guides, remove the marrage to subvision levels

aSkeptic
01-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Every time I need to make even the slightest change to my model or save versions of my model my hair system goes nuts. But think I have an idea to fix this.

There are 2 big problems with the workflow of fiber fx. First problem is that you cannot have a different subdivision level for rendering as you have in the viewports. This is a serious problem with animation involving displacment maps. Secondly any time you change the geometry of your model no matter how small you loose all your hair work. If you save an exact same model with a different filename and reload it into layout, you loose all your hair work.

I really like the fiber guide editor in layout as opposed to moder's. In modeler you have to do everything one hair guide at a time. Layout can do things with areas.

I have an idea that would solve both problems. Make a button:

"Save layout guides as 2 point poly chains"

Function does what the button says. Those poly chains can be loaded back as an object as hair guides. It would be nice if this were somehow compatible with texture map controls like density, maybe that can be preprocessed into the guides on export. I haven't used modeler guides because I don't want to make my hair one guide at a time. So I don't know a lot about them.

With this button we can have our hair object separate from the geometry. We can have any subdivision scheme we want for it we can change it anyway we want.

What do you guys think about this?