PDA

View Full Version : Applying surfaces to objects in scene

spardacus
08-12-2003, 11:35 AM
When I apply a surface to an object in my scene, LW continues to apply the surface to tha last chosen object vs the currently chosen object.

I am using the object pull down to assure that I am actually choosing the object I want.

Also, how can I simply edit an existing surface in my Presets window vs having every change create a new surface?

Thank you ... as you can tell I am new to LW.

Frustrated but optimistic

i am spardacus

jdavidbakr
08-12-2003, 12:18 PM
One of the things that I had to get used to with LW is that each instance of an object in the scene is just a copy of the same object. To get them to have two different colors, you have to save a copy of the object, and then you have two different objects. Object surfaces are not saved in LW, they are saved with the scene.

spardacus
08-12-2003, 12:29 PM
That makes sense ... and I was glad to learn this morning the useage of scene vs object hierarchy for surfaces thereby allowing you to changes a surface once for all corresponding object usages.

However, what is happening to me is I have several objects in a scene. Each object is unique. When I select one object to assign a surface to, and then select a new object with the pull down menu to assign another surface to this next object, the surface I choose gets assigned to the last object selected as if it was still selected. Yet, when I look at my pull down menu, I don't have that object selected.

I have to physically touch the bones, lights or other tab selector to sort of make LW forget the last selection, then go back to my ogjects tab and reselect the object I want and assign a surface to that object. This is a bit cumbersome and time consuming.

????
<:-\

Thank you for your feedback ... with a robust app like LW life without a forum would be suicidal.

i am spardacus

spardacus
08-12-2003, 12:38 PM
I can see a relationship building between the surface editor and the objects in the scene. It seems the objects in the scene are assigned surface in the surface editor.

But, in the video I got from Desktop Images, they speak about a touch screen method of surface assignment from the presets window???????

Sure would be nice to have drag and drop from the surface presets to the surface editor and vica versa.

What do I know ... at this point - absolutely nnnnnothing!

i am spardacus

jdavidbakr
08-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Hm, I'm not aware of a drag-and-drop surface from the presets (doesn't mean it doesn't exist - doesn't hardly mean that); I do all my surface assigning in the surface editor, it is easy enough to grab from the presets there.

mlinde
08-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by jdavidbakr
Object surfaces are not saved in LW, they are saved with the scene.

Um, object surfaces are saved in the object, not in the scene. However, if you do not save your changes to the object before closing the scene they will not stick.

Presets can be applied simply by double-clicking on the preset in the shelf. They can then be edited, but the edits do not affect the original preset.

You can save a surface as a preset by right-clicking on the image of the surface in the surface editor and selecting "Save as preset..."

toby
08-13-2003, 06:33 PM
You don't select objects to apply surfaces to them. You select their surfaces in the surface editor. Probably why LW has never had the drag-and-drop feature - you can have thousands of surfaces per object.

jdavidbakr
08-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Um, object surfaces are saved in the object, not in the scene. However, if you do not save your changes to the object before closing the scene they will not stick.
Doh! Of course, that's what I meant to say. (Can't get much worse than that for a type-o)

spardacus
08-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Too much to put into words ...

OK ... I know I'm green, but it seems a dynamic relationship between the Surface editor, the presets window, or something that controls, remembers, sets, edits the surfaces would carry information between LW and modeler.

How can I save a new surface edit to my surface if when I "F12" over to modeler to save my object the newly assigned/edited surface doesn't follow?

I'm trying very hard to understand where my surfaces are. I can't even figure how to delete one of the surface names in the multiple surfaces that appear in the Surface editor. I can copy and paste, but I can't delete. AND, I have saved a surface to a folder, yet the Load button won't "see" any file format to load? What's that about?

I thought the presets window in LW was a quick visual reference of certain libraries of surfaces? One of the selections is "Workspace". Isn't this supposed to be a dynamic load of the textures used in the loaded scene?

WAIT? STOP THE PRESSES!!!

I JUST DISCOVERED SOMETHING!!!

My Viper doesn't simply render on its own ... I have to "F9" render first, "Continue" upon completion of render and then "Render" in Viper again. This is a very important step not mentioned in Desktop Images DVD. This cost me two days of frustration expecting my Viper to dynamically update upon "F9".

Also, after playing with Volumetric Illum, I turned each light's Vulime Illum selction off. My Viper window persisted in rednering a Volumetric Lighting. I had to turn one of the light's Volumetric Illum back on just to go in and set the Volumetris Illum brightness to Zero. That's kind of ... well it desn't make sense.

I know I'm rambling. I apologize. However, there are certainly things going on that are either: senseless, not yet intelligible by this roooookie, or my software has a bug in it and I need to reload.

On to my third martini ... my scene suddenly looks maahhhvelous!

good night,

i am spardacus

toby
08-14-2003, 09:28 PM
You should go through the manual as well as this DVD, it seems like they presume you know a lot of this stuff -

mlinde
08-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by spardacus
OK ... I know I'm green, but it seems a dynamic relationship between the Surface editor, the presets window, or something that controls, remembers, sets, edits the surfaces would carry information between LW and modeler.

The "thing" that carries surface information between Layout and Modeler is the object itself. Surfaces are stored in the object file. Presets are stored surface configurations that can be applied to selected surfaces. Copy and paste (right click on a surface name) works pretty well too.

How can I save a new surface edit to my surface if when I "F12" over to modeler to save my object the newly assigned/edited surface doesn't follow?

To create a new surface (by name) you must select polygons in Modeler and bring up the Change Surface panel (q) then name the new surface. To save changes applied to a surface in Layout, you must Save the object in Layout. (I mapped "Save All Objects" to Ctrl-s, so it's easy to save objects-save scene)

I'm trying very hard to understand where my surfaces are. I can't even figure how to delete one of the surface names in the multiple surfaces that appear in the Surface editor. I can copy and paste, but I can't delete. AND, I have saved a surface to a folder, yet the Load button won't "see" any file format to load? What's that about?

To remove a surface from the surface editor, you must open the object in layout, use the statistics pane to select the surface, bring up the Change Surface panel (q) and apply a different surface to the one you want to remove.

I thought the presets window in LW was a quick visual reference of certain libraries of surfaces? One of the selections is "Workspace". Isn't this supposed to be a dynamic load of the textures used in the loaded scene?

Workspace is a preset shelf for surfaces you wish to save as presets. You can bring up the workspace shelf, then save a surface as a preset to the shelf.

You need to do some basic review of objects in the LW manuals. I'd suggest starting with Chapter 20 "Lightwave 3D Modeling" to review how objects and surfaces work.

spardacus
08-15-2003, 03:42 AM
I can't thank ... "mlinde", "jdavidbakr", and "toby" enough for staying with this conversation.

I am very grateful for all your patient input on the seemingly elementary issues I have raised.

Back to the books ...

i am spardacus

mlinde
08-15-2003, 07:32 AM
After finding your cross-posted question as well, here's one final surfacing tip. To remove all surfaces from an object (something I would suggest is a last-ditch effort, and not a good thing) open the object in layout. Switch to polygon mode, make sure NO polygons are selected and ALL layers are visible. Bring up the surface change dialog (q) and select default. Close the dialog box. Save the object (best to use a new name here!). Close Modeler. Re-launch with the new object. Bring up the surface editor and notice that the only surface in the whole object is "default"