PDA

View Full Version : Limited animated paths final solution

jaxtone
01-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I believe that this have been asked before but I have to ask again since I cannot find the old thread under "General Support"!

Can you please tell me how to do "in an easy way without any traditional LW workarounds", to see the extended animated curve for single and multiple objects in the different Layout views without any limitations?

As it is now I can only see about 50 frames before and 50 frames after the animated objects actual position. This is really bad since I lose time when trying to handle a lot of objects! I wish to animate each one manually but the time it takes to correct the direction angles of each object when you only see a limited amount of frames is frustrating!

When I wan´t a good overview at 50 animated objects that runs over 2 500 keyframes it´s not an option to only see 50 frames before and after the animation cycle! I might have missed something important in my self educated world of Lightwave-3D but it seems to me like this new limitation of the animation paths is a brand new feature that doesn´t add anything good to the software. In case there are information of how to change this limitation in the user interface you guys at NT have buried this deep in cyberspace!

NT: Excuse for asking, but what were you thinking of when you limited this feature?

walfridson
01-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Have you tried activating the path tool? (no idea if it works)

nickdigital
01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
You could try this plug-in.

Custom DrawMotionPath
http://www.flay.com/plugs/downloads/f_Custom_DrawMotionPath_v1.1.zip

Just be careful about network rendering. I know when I used it on our farm the scene would crash.

jaxtone
01-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Do you mean the option "use custom paths" under preferences/paths?

Have you tried activating the path tool? (no idea if it works)

jaxtone
01-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks! I´ll try this in between two projects though it´s connected to eventual risks.

But is it a fact then that Newtek have added a limitation to the visual path track? Why! It seems very rude and nasty to me... or did someone forget to think about that a track path is usual when rigging a scene?

You could try this plug-in.

Custom DrawMotionPath
http://www.flay.com/plugs/downloads/f_Custom_DrawMotionPath_v1.1.zip

Just be careful about network rendering. I know when I used it on our farm the scene would crash.

jaxtone
01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Is there anyone who´s got any valuable information of why NT have limited the animation paths?

Or a way to solve this problem from within Lightwave itself without any external plugins?

jaxtone
01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Anyone?

dballesg
01-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Anyone?

I found a way, close LW completly, open your LW9.CFG on NotePad and do a search for the command QuickMotionPathFrames. Change the number after it (mine was 30 by default) to the number of frames you want to Layout to show. I tried 4000, and noticed a slight slow down movind Null. So be a bit conservative with the value.

Save the file, and open Layout again, try with a Null object to see if it works for you.

David

jaxtone
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow! So you actually found a solution! Great! I´ll try this at once!

Well now I tried it... I changed the setting to 400 just to see if it
worked. But I can still only see 30 frames in advance and afterwards!

Strange!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Valenciana.jpg

Las Fallas statues, what a great reference for modeling, texturing and CA! At least if LW simplified their IK and Character setup!

I found a way, close LW completly, open your LW9.CFG on NotePad and do a search for the command QuickMotionPathFrames. Change the number after it (mine was 30 by default) to the number of frames you want to Layout to show. I tried 4000, and noticed a slight slow down movind Null. So be a bit conservative with the value.

Save the file, and open Layout again, try with a Null object to see if it works for you.

David

dballesg
01-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Wow! So you actually found a solution! Great! I´ll try this at once!

Well now I tried it... I changed the setting to 400 just to see if it
worked. But I can still only see 30 frames in advance and afterwards!

Strange!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Valenciana.jpg

Las Fallas statues, what a great reference for modeling, texturing and CA! At least if LW simplified their IK and Character setup!

Hi Jaxtone,

You were sure the LW9.CFG you edited is the one your LW is using, I mean if you have the config files redirected be careful in case you edited one on the users directory instead of the one on your config redirected directory.

Fallas is more about the Fire!! :) Great CFD Fire real simulations on the night of the 19th of March! ;)

David

jaxtone
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
You´re probably right... since nothing happend I probably changed the text in the wrong CFG file!

Is there a way to search for the right one that Layout is using?

J

Hi Jaxtone,

You were sure the LW9.CFG you edited is the one your LW is using, I mean if you have the config files redirected be careful in case you edited one on the users directory instead of the one on your config redirected directory.

Fallas is more about the Fire!! :) Great CFD Fire real simulations on the night of the 19th of March! ;)

David

evenflcw
01-30-2009, 05:05 PM
You´re probably right... since nothing happend I probably changed the text in the wrong CFG file!

J

Unfortunately there is, so you can't complain about it.* ;)

Just search for the most recent one. Ie just make a search for "LW9.cfg" on all (or most likely) drives, pick detailed view and sort on modified date. LW will save to these files each time you exit.

*Although the Windows search functions default filtering is incredibly dumb as it won't search unknown extensions.

dballesg
01-31-2009, 02:01 AM

J

Hi Jaxtoine,

If you do not have shortcuts modified with the -c to redirect the configs to another directory, then usually LW puts the configs on:

C:\Users\[YourUserName] (that is under Windows Vista)

David

jaxtone
01-31-2009, 05:31 AM
But that were the place I found it, and the cfg file I found there was the one I made the changes in!

Very Strange! Almost a conspiracy... :D

Hi Jaxtoine,

If you do not have shortcuts modified with the -c to redirect the configs to another directory, then usually LW puts the configs on:

C:\Users\[YourUserName] (that is under Windows Vista)

David

colkai
01-31-2009, 06:29 AM
*Although the Windows search functions default filtering is incredibly dumb as it won't search unknown extensions.

I'll go further, sometimes it skips known ones. I knew text existed in a 'txt' file listing someplace but explorer failed to find it.

Do yourself a favour, pick up the free edition of PowerDesk, it has 'file finder' in it, which rocks. Not only can you search, you can then re-search and use a 'refine' option. :) I rarely touch the native 'F3' in windows now.

evenflcw
01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Indeed. I think you are right as I believe I already did the registry hack and seldom find what I know IS there. I usually end up using Notepad++ for searching directories. I mainly search for code snippets in a limited set of directories so it serves the purpose quite well. But I'll check out PowerDesk.

jaxtone
01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi!

If you have any information on where I can find the free edition of Power Desk I would appreciate it!

The only thing I found was this, and there´s no free edition at all!

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/pc-utilities/utilities/desktop-tools/PowerDesk_Pro_7.html#

I'll go further, sometimes it skips known ones. I knew text existed in a 'txt' file listing someplace but explorer failed to find it.

Do yourself a favour, pick up the free edition of PowerDesk, it has 'file finder' in it, which rocks. Not only can you search, you can then re-search and use a 'refine' option. :) I rarely touch the native 'F3' in windows now.

jaxtone
01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
I am pretty sure that the CFG file that I am changing the numbers in are the right one since there is no other file with that name on my computer!

Is there any other setting in Display Options I have to change as well to make this work?

Are you running a Vista 64 Bit system?

David