PDA

View Full Version : Is Lightwave capable for vertex normals editing?

jkir
01-25-2009, 06:08 AM
I am in search of any affordable soft for that. I have Blender experience mostly and it's a thing that is missed in Blender. I mean a tool to rotate, share and break normals of vertexes to influence shading of polygons. It's an extremely necessary feature for games environments assets creation.

Erwin Zwart
01-27-2009, 04:23 AM
I am in search of any affordable soft for that. I have Blender experience mostly and it's a thing that is missed in Blender. I mean a tool to rotate, share and break normals of vertexes to influence shading of polygons. It's an extremely necessary feature for games environments assets creation.

I know.. I know...
Since not so long LW can import vertex normals and render them fine. That is already a breakthrough that did last way too long, because it is badly needed to have same smoothing with CAD imports and game models imports/exports. But you cannot touch those imports except translation, because when you rotate geometry the vertex normal map stays put, alas. Let alone editing on polygons, booleans etc. or editing the vectex normals directly.
At least now I can render imported Pro/E and SolidWorks objects without being afraid for wrong smoothing, reflection and specular like I was since 1992.
maybe LW X ;)

jkir
01-29-2009, 06:40 AM
I don't need those vertex normals for rendering. I just need them to be shown in a viewport and to rotate them where it may be necessary and to be exportable of course. There is a huge demand for such a feature in modern games. I know no game with a decent trees/foliage/environment modeling which I heard to be done in Lightwave and the reason is probably the absence of that simple (imho) feature. It's a pity. The whole program looks very nice and affordable.

erikals
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
ah,... so that's what's happening the .obj file i have here.
hm, hope to see an edit funtion soon...

edit: or...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=692535&postcount=10

jin choung
03-15-2009, 10:43 PM

answer is NO.

jin

jkir
04-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Anybody know whether vertex normals editing will be possible in CORE?

Also would be appreciative if somebody tell me what other not very expensive soft is capable for that. (maybe with a plugin) Since XSI Foundation is no more available I found Houdini Escape next in the price range but feel a bit reluctant to spend 2000 only for a single feature I really need over Blender . Beside my IQ is probably not good enough for Houdini where I still understand almost nothing even after a few tutorials.

jin choung
04-11-2009, 03:59 PM
oh man!

imo, this is like asking whether core will have editable UVs -

ANSWER - it fing better!!!

jin

jkir
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
ok, just had a hope that somebody already accessed it. And actually It's not so important whether it will have editable UV's at all while there are plenty of affordable or free tools for that.
The question for me is whether I still need to buy autodesk products to have the work done.

goodrichm
04-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Anybody know whether vertex normals editing will be possible in CORE?

Also would be appreciative if somebody tell me what other not very expensive soft is capable for that. (maybe with a plugin) Since XSI Foundation is no more available I found Houdini Escape next in the price range but feel a bit reluctant to spend 2000 only for a single feature I really need over Blender . Beside my IQ is probably not good enough for Houdini where I still understand almost nothing even after a few tutorials.

Maybe 3D-Coat ver 3 will fit the bill and workflow. If you don't see what you need, ask for it on 3DC forums. The developer is very quick and responsive to customer needs! Download and test drive the latest alpha.

Links are in my signature...MG

cresshead
04-12-2009, 07:12 AM
how about cinema4d core..much cheaper than houdini or carrara maybe?

jkir
04-12-2009, 01:00 PM
how about cinema4d core..much cheaper than houdini or carrara maybe?

Does Cinema have an ability to edit vertex normals? I tried demo and have not found anything. Looks like it manage normals the same way Blender do it (automatically, without a way to influence it) And I am sure carrara don't have that feature.

jkir
04-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe 3D-Coat ver 3 will fit the bill and workflow. If you don't see what you need, ask for it on 3DC forums. The developer is very quick and responsive to customer needs! Download and test drive the latest alpha.

Links are in my signature...MG

Thanks, looks like you gave me a new toy for a while. Although not sure they would be interested in that specifically low-poly feature.

Frank_Geppert
04-13-2009, 02:21 AM
I agree, this is a pity that LW does not have such a simple feature. Maybe someone should create a feature request. But it probably will not make it into the current version and Core takes a while from now.

I will start to search what Luxology says about this.

goodrichm
04-13-2009, 03:15 AM
Thanks, looks like you gave me a new toy for a while. Although not sure they would be interested in that specifically low-poly feature.

Low-poly features is one of the main reasons for the new ver 3 release! Ver 3 alpha has had Direct Painting (DP)/Perpixel Painting since about 14 builds ago.

Hopefully, you'll get on the 3DC forums and get your requests in before the feature list gets locked down in the next couple weeks! You won't believe how fast this train is moving, there's a new build every couple days...MG

Frank_Geppert
04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I asked about this in the Luxology forums and they told it is similar problem like in LW. But there is a plugin to bake all smoothing informations into vertex normals to export them properly.

I thought about using normal maps from higher poly versions to solve this. I will check this out more thoroughly soon.

jkir
04-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree, this is a pity that LW does not have such a simple feature. Maybe someone should create a feature request. But it probably will not make it into the current version and Core takes a while from now.

I will start to search what Luxology says about this.

I tried Modo last year. It had no tool for normals editing either. It was a reason why I did not buy it although I liked its renderer a lot.
I wonder why software companies tend to produce the same modeling features while they are already good (or perhaps not so good but still available) in Blender, Silo, Wings and a bunch of free or extremely cheap and easy programs. I would focus more on features that is not available there. I would not buy an expensive program if nevertheless I need to buy any of big Autodesk products to complete my work whatever good such program would be in some areas.

Frank_Geppert
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
I understand your point of view jkir. If you do only game modeling then you are fine with Blender, Wings 3d or Silo. But the real-time preview renderer in Modo saved me a lot of time, the fast GI and the easy rendering setup as well. I am happy that I have licenses of Lightwave, Modo and Vue. I use all three for different rendering tasks.

And I would add Blender, Wings or Silo instantly if they would allow to edit vertex normals. Max is a bit too expensive here in Europe. So I hoped to find another solution. But maybe normal maps will do it. Modo can bake them easily. I will check that out.
Lightwave can also create normal maps with an additional plugin.

jkir
04-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I understand your point of view jkir. If you do only game modeling then you are fine with Blender, Wings 3d or Silo. But the real-time preview renderer in Modo saved me a lot of time, the fast GI and the easy rendering setup as well. I am happy that I have licenses of Lightwave, Modo and Vue. I use all three for different rendering tasks.

And I would add Blender, Wings or Silo instantly if they would allow to edit vertex normals. Max is a bit too expensive here in Europe. So I hoped to find another solution. But maybe normal maps will do it. Modo can bake them easily. I will check that out.
Lightwave can also create normal maps with an additional plugin.

That's is my problem. Neither of those cheap/free programs are able to edit normals. I was almost ready to buy XSI but Autodesk stopped to sell it online recently and my local reseller do it for a twice price.
Normal map is not good for some things. A tree with crossing faces that represent foliage. (for thousands such trees on a scene) It's just noneffective to use normal maps in that case.