PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Ed (UT3)

Philbert
01-25-2009, 03:00 AM
So the old Unreal Ed that came with UT2004 accepted LWO files perfectly fine. I finally got around to picking up UT3 yesterday (only $15 now!) and Ive barely opened Unreal Ed so far but I remember hearing that LWO was no longer supported. So before I even get started, What's the best way to get my models in there?

JeffrySG
01-25-2009, 03:03 AM
So the old Unreal Ed that came with UT2004 accepted LWO files perfectly fine. I finally got around to picking up UT3 yesterday (only $15 now!) and Ive barely opened Unreal Ed so far but I remember hearing that LWO was no longer supported. So before I even get started, What's the best way to get my models in there?

Would Blender be able to save as a format that the editor could open? You could always open in Blender and resave.

Philbert
01-25-2009, 03:05 AM
I think I did here someone mentioning that. I hate Blender, but it might not be so bad in this case since it should be only going in and out. Does Blender accept LWO files?

JeffrySG
01-25-2009, 03:26 AM
I think it does read older LW files. I'm not sure what version though. I do know it reads LW OBJ files just fine though if it doesn't read LWO files. You may have to fool with the new OBJ export options to get what you want. There are a bunch of new options in the general options area in modeler now in 9.6.

EXOSOUL
01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I believe you need Collada for this Phil.. someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but for sure you can't use .lwo's I can't remember what I used to make them work in the new UT3...

Philbert
01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I did get it to load a test object that I saved out as DAE. No textures, but that may have been something to do with my lack of Unreal Ed Knowledge. I'll have to watch the video tutorials and maybe that will help. Thanks.

TripD
01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Didn't 3DBuzz used to have some ut videos that used LW? Maybe I imagined it. But, they sure are catering to the Autodesk boyz eh?

EXOSOUL
01-28-2009, 09:06 AM
they used to show Maya for the tutorials for UT2004, but using a plug in that came with it. But was jumping more hoops, because back then .lwo's will natively open in that engine...

Philbert
01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Didn't 3DBuzz used to have some ut videos that used LW? Maybe I imagined it. But, they sure are catering to the Autodesk boyz eh?

Yes the 3D Buzz videos now come with UT3 (Collectors Edition). I'm actually watching them right now. It's more than 10 hours of tutorials. I don't remember if the old one's (which used to be free, not anymore) used LW or not, but I think they did now that I think of it.