PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft shuts down Flight Simulator

doimus
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Microsoft has shut down the studio that was developing the Flight Simulator series. THE Flight Simulator series.

Link: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21981

Kind of feel sad about that.... as one of my first memories of ever using a PC was playing with Flight Simulator. On the very first day of Computer Science in primary school, our only task was to get off the ground in FS 3.0 using 286 with Hercules graphics and black-and-orange monitor. I had striped vision for the rest of that day.

I've been complete sucker for flight simulations through late 80s and 90s (back when gaming was all about platformers, adventures and flight-sims) and was actually considering getting back in the action lately... this feels a bit depressing. Like the oldest tree in the forest just went down, and it's all Halo crap from here onwards. :thumbsdow

[launches iTunes, clicks the first "Hits of 80s" station, pours a glass of wine and lets nostalgia take over]

Sarford
01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Well I think Austin Meyer but be grinning from ear to ear!

mosconariz
01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Ouch, that was the only decent thing out of Microsoft in the game industry... Sad news

caesar
01-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Microsoft already announced that Halo Wars is the last game from Ensemble Studios, the creators of Age of Empires...

walfridson
01-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Argh no!
I spend a few hours with FS every week...

mattclary
01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
This seems like a really odd decision to me. I've never played it, but my impression has always been that this thing has lots of die-hard fans out there. If they are going to deep 6 it, they should sell it or open source it.

doimus
01-25-2009, 02:30 PM
I just hope they do not sell it. We don't really need any more trademark-whoring like it was done with Commodore, Amiga or Microprose. I hope they either "return" the license to its creator Bruce Artwick or just bury it underground somewhere.
Or make it open source, but that would mean making DX10 opensource, so it probably won't happen.

Redig
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
This is crazy (and disappointing news). MSFS was leaps and bounds ahead of most (if not all) other flight sims. And yes, they do have a die hard fan base. They even have networks of "Air traffic controllers" online that monitor a network of simmers and interact with them real time using real world lingo.

Sigh... I am truly saddened.

DiscreetFX
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Agreed, Flight Simulator was awesome.

Ivan D. Young
01-27-2009, 07:50 PM
look at the bright side, at least no one will be able to train themselves to fly planes into buildings. That has gotta count for something, right?

walfridson
01-28-2009, 03:19 AM
Let's hope X-plane guy steps up, hire some 3D guys and get it as good as FS when it comes to the graphics.

ps This is not an answer to Ivan D. Young's post :)

doimus
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
look at the bright side, at least no one will be able to train themselves to fly planes into buildings. That has gotta count for something, right?

Yes, now all they'll be able to do is infantry training. Plenty of simulators around. I heard about this COD thing that trains you how to kill entire Russian/Japanese/Nazi armies. Powerful stuff.

Ivan D. Young
01-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Actually I was joking, but if you guys did not know. Flight Sim removed the ability to fly too close to buildings and landmarks from the version that shipped right after Sept 11. So in all honesty, Microsoft was very responsible in this regards.

As far as Flight Sim goes, they have made a very good game. I think their thought is that they could go a year or two and maybe revisist this property once the economy would support it.

For the void, I would suggest looking at AOPA magazine or website. they surely have links to Flight Sim alternatives. :D

virtualcomposer
01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
X-Plane is where it is at though. ( :

frantbk
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
You know of course everyone is talking about FS in past tense. This might be why Microsoft has shut it down. :eek:

walfridson
10-18-2010, 08:17 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/
Something new on the horizon.

OnlineRender
10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Use Google Flight Sim http://earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v4/flightsim/index.html "I know it's not the same " ,but I would highly recommend Tom Clancy H.A.W.K.S