PDA

View Full Version : USB Dongle and a USB Hub ?

zapper1998
01-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I have the USB Hub and have plugged the Dongle into it, it lites up but it is never discovered ....

Has anybody had success with plugging the USB Dongle in a USB Hub ???

the reason being I wont to get ride of the accidental hitting of the Dongle.

I have my machine and it scares me the fact the USB Dongle sticking out ready to get smacked..

I have accidentally smacked it a few times in the past..

But the cat likes to tinker with it once in awhile....

Michael

ursa
01-24-2009, 01:57 PM
I've run my LightWave dongle on a usb hub for several years.
you may want to try removing all usb devices and then re-installing them: hubs, devices etc one at a time, watching closely to see that windows pick up each progressive connection.

Lewis
01-24-2009, 04:17 PM
My works in USB hub also, no problems. Some USB HUBS need external power supply to ensure enough Volts for USB devices and others don't so if your Dongle isn't working in USB HUB it's most likely that it's not enough power OR you having too long USB cable in HUB :(. Of course that's only if your USB hub actually works properly (did you tried any other device in it ??)

biliousfrog
01-25-2009, 05:26 AM
another possible cause (though perhaps unlikely) is that the hub is USB (1) and the dongle is USB2?

I stick it in the back of the machine out of the way, not much chance of hitting it but not very practical if you regularly switch machines.

rsfd
01-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Using the dongle on different places without any problems:
- directly connected to a Mac G5 and MacPro
- connected to an active and passive hub
- connected to the keyboard hubs (G5 keyboard=USB 1, MacPro keyboard=USB 2)

I also would consider it to be related to the power consumption of all connected devices.
If you are using a passive hub, try to unplug all other devices from the hub exept the dongle.
If you are using an active hub without having it connected to a power supply, try connecting it.
As I don't want to recommend "buy another hub", I would familiarize with the idea of finding a more comfortable place for the dongle (direct connection on the back, or maybe the keyboard hub).

edit:
(oh, just realized I'm already out of the Mac Forum).
But the main hints should stay the same:
The mainboard offers a certain amperage for usb devices. Using a passive hub often results in power problems in dependency of the connected hardware. You can figure out by the mentioned steps. (You have to unplug the devices - just turning off does not help, as the cables still are under amperage).

zapper1998
01-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Got it to work thank you for the tips...

The power supply for the USB Hub was not plugged in...all the way...opps...

Lewis
01-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Hehehe, good I'm glad you solved it :).