PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 Less stable than beta

larkis
01-23-2009, 10:53 PM
This is actually a surprise to me, i was running the open beta for a few months on the mac pro (leopard) and was happy by how stable the software was (something new for LW on the mac). I installed 9.6 and have noticed more crashes. At least 5 or 6 a day. Does anyone else have this problem ?

Kuzey
01-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Are you using old LW 7.5 to 9.3 files by any chance, I had a few problems with them crashing 9.6 during the beta.

Modeler will crash in the background once in awhile (probably due to using LW7.5 objects), going back and forth between it and layout, rendering tests, changing textures etc.

I like to think of it as half way there, since it's not really final until we get the 64bit version...but that's just my view :hey:

Kuzey

Chilton
01-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Hi,

If you send me the crash logs, I'd greatly appreciate it.

[email protected]

Thanks!
-Chilton

mav3rick
01-24-2009, 07:06 AM
be sure to clean up all old config files....

jaxtone
01-24-2009, 10:15 AM
During the last 24 hours Lightwave 9.6 have crashed 4 times. Thats more than the Open Betas did!

geothefaust
01-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Clean out your configs jaxtone. Why don't you start submitting bug reports?

I haven't had many crashes on 9.6, but it's certainly a LOT LESS then when it was in beta.

scratch33
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Like geothefaust said, delete all your config files. It is important I think. Let lw create new one.

haven't had many crash too.

9.6 has a good stability for me.

bye.

Dreamer
01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I am liking 9.6 especially the render speed. The only glitch I notice is that the windows for voxels and textures become corrupted. It could be the graphics card on my MacBookPro, but it didn't happen in the early beta stages, just the end. I change tabs to correct it. No crashing thus far.

KevinL
01-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Recently. in the last beta, I had horrific problems with particles doing weird things and crashing. I had made the scenes in one of the earlier iterations of betas. This was not a huge problem for me as it was strictly playing to learn stuff. I rebuilt the same setup in the newer version and it worked fine.

A very important thought to keep in my mind (and one which I tend to forget) is that beta is A TESTING thing. I tend to treat them like they are just new and improving versions, but if I go back and look at the beta forums and the new beta announcements I can regularly see mention of "to fix this issue we are trying this, this may break so and so, so please test". So I have to remember and be willing to accommodate this. In the case of goofing around with particles it was no big deal, but when a scene I had built in 8 wouldn't work, that was frustrating. This is the nature of the beast. I think the incredible pace that Newtek was issuing beta versions was incredible, that kind of interactivity being unheard of, but it does make things dicey on occasion. With the latest release, clean configs, and the removal of a couple of problematic plugins I have had a good experience so far. I am on windows so your mileage might vary. :)

Kevin L

jaxtone
01-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I havenīt had no problems with the Open Beta Versions and my complains are not connected to the Open Beta Versions at all. But if I compare the Open Beta Versions with this latest official 9.6 release I will say that this one lose!

Geothefaust: "Clean out your configs jaxtone. Why don't you start submitting bug reports? I haven't had many crashes on 9.6, but it's certainly a LOT LESS then when it was in beta."

1. Maybe the config clean up process was done wrong by me but why do you suppose that I am not sending bug reports?

2. If you experience less bugs now than earlier let me just say this! Itīs obvious that we arenīt working on the same project, machine or having anything else in common according to the subject! But what does it help me to hear that you donīt have had any crashes?

jaxtone
01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I need to know a few things about the config files you mention!

When shall I delete them? Before I install all plugins or add motion scripts? (Actually Iīve already installed everything so I am glad if these settings doesnīt have to be changed again.)

Do the process of deleting the config files affect the Pluginīs scripts etc?

I might have done this in a wrong way! Can you please show me how to do it in a proper way so it doesnīt cause any problems!

Like geothefaust said, delete all your config files. It is important I think. Let lw create new one.

haven't had many crash too.

9.6 has a good stability for me.

bye.

geothefaust
01-24-2009, 01:30 PM
First, if you're using multiple versions of LW and don't set up custom config folders, you're shooting yourself in the foot, as each version will use the same configs and after one version of LW users the configs after another, it will corrupt them and cause so many crashes that it's not even funny.

So, first, since you already have it installed...

Save your interface and any other custom stuff.
Then close down LW.
Create custom config folder.
Create/change your shorts to use the custom config folder.
Start up LW and import your custom interface settings.

You're pretty much done. But having clean configs will go a long way to stopping crashes and the head aches they cause.

Orimar
01-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Chuck posted a "LightWave 3D v9.6 Download Files Guide," which includes instructions on how to create custom config files.

You can find it here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94148

Silkrooster
01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I already sent in a bug report for the crashes I was getting. Aurora was thinking it may be the 3rd party plugins that are doing it as most of them have not update to the new SDK yet.
My bug had to do with the node editor and the gradient curve node. Switching apps would crash either layout or modeler depending on which I was switching to.

Silkrooster
01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
OK, My happy report. So far. lol. I created a flat box and applied the curve gradient in modeler, switching to layout generated the crash report again.

So I trashed my plugin folder and the config files making sure all 3rd party plugins are gone. I then then reinstalled lightwave and loaded the test file again and this time no report. I'll go through the steps a few more times before trying to load some of the 3rd party plugins in at a time untill I get my crash again. Hopefully I can pin point the culprit so that it can get fix before someone else runs into this issue.
Silk

Sensei
01-24-2009, 07:19 PM
When shall I delete them? Before I install all plugins or add motion scripts? (Actually Iīve already installed everything so I am glad if these settings doesnīt have to be changed again.)

Do the process of deleting the config files affect the Pluginīs scripts etc?

I might have done this in a wrong way! Can you please show me how to do it in a proper way so it doesnīt cause any problems!

Of course you will loose everything! The best way is to use -c command in short-cut to redirect config folder to other location, and start everything from scratch (adding plug-ins, editing menus etc)..

jaf
01-24-2009, 09:47 PM
As mentioned, the "-c" configs file is the way to go with multiple LW versions. Not only will you experience weird problems with config file being corrupted, you can also have problems with the Hub -- running a different LW version before the Hub exits from a previous version (the lowest Hub exit is 1 minute, which is usually sufficient.)

Take a few minutes to check out your configuration files. Run Modeler and Layout and exit, Check the date/time stamp on the configuration files. Wait a few minutes and run the next modeler/layout version and check those date/time stamps. Continue through all versions to see if each is entirely isolated from another version.

colkai
01-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Yup, all my version have separate install areas, in which is a 'configs' directory which my shortcuts point to via -p & -c options.
I also have hub and "nohub" versions of the shortcuts.

mike_stening
01-26-2009, 04:07 AM
9.6 has been super stable for me and if i hold my hands up i havent beenthat strict with my configs, nothing has been created from scratch for a while now and i have no problems of note to speak of. really very happy with this. nice.