PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar galactica vfx??

butachan
01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
the team of Battlestar won an emmy for some amazing vfx, that I think were done with lightwave, does anyone knows what company did the vfx?

I am trying to find them online but no luck so far.

geothefaust
01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I point you to this user. He works at the studio that does the VFX for BSG. It's in his sig. ;)

http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=767

JeffrySG
01-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Also Zoic Studios did a lot of work on the series the first year or two...

http://www.zoicstudios.com/

http://www.zoicstudios.com/Web/Search/Showcase.aspx?ShowID=29

djlithium
01-24-2009, 01:46 AM
the team of Battlestar won an emmy for some amazing vfx, that I think were done with lightwave, does anyone knows what company did the vfx?

I am trying to find them online but no luck so far.

Greetings from "Kat" from BSG season 1 (here and there) 2 and 3.
If you are looking for BSG info I can more than likely help you.
Please hit my site at www.battlestarvfx.com for more information.

Cheers.

butachan
01-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for the help.
I figure I should enhance my portfolio and something I lack is vfx like BSG.
thanks again for the help.

mikala
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Go to Kat's site.
Extremely informative.

Intuition
01-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello,

Yeah I was at BSG VFX for about 7 months in 2008. Its a great group of guys. I left to come to DD to get on a cool (cough cough) T (cough cough) R (cough cough) 2 (cough) n. Otherwise I would be there now.

I wouldn't take Kat's site too seriously.

I mean, I sympathize with those who want the work to shine. I do. In Kat's situation he was going up against Gary Hutzel's look versus what kat thought should be the look.

Gary is the boss over there. He is open to alot of suggestions. He actually let me do some work in season 4.5 and Caprica, and Virtuality in 3dsmax using Vray and some stuff in Fumefx as well as some hard fx and cloth dynamics out of XSi.

I, like Kat am also a Fusion user but they use combustion at BSG. I am not sure if Kat is working at the Canadian office anymore.

One thing where Kat messes up is that he badmouthed Gary and the BSG crew on his website for everyone to see. Why this is bad is that people in the VFX industry, no matter if Kat was right or not, do not want to work with someone who wants to be so rude and take private company workings and place them in a public arena like he did. They feel that the person will be a mellow dramatic mess in the office.

He called Gary some bad names and no matter how good Kat might be at CGI it no longer matters because, and we have seen this before on this forum when people are overly critical, no one wants to work with that person anymore because they can't keep their own emotions in check and get all prima donna over nothing.

So right or wrong about how one shot looks or how the CC turned out, Kat is not winning any points by calling Gary and the VFX crew names.

Anyways, to answer your question, They do not have a website for the in house VFX crew.

Marvin Miller
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
This is also a great source of BSG goodness:

http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2008/07/20/little-gold-statues/

JeffrySG
01-28-2009, 01:04 PM
This is also a great source of BSG goodness:

http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2008/07/20/little-gold-statues/

The Emmy breakdown sheets are pretty cool on that blog... :)

butachan
01-28-2009, 02:05 PM
hi again, thanks to keep the post alive and adding as much information as you guys know.
Like I said before my interest was mainly because I have to increase my portfolio, I work for a post-production company, but my work is mostly motion-graphic and "fantastic" scenes. However I have the knowledge to do something more naturalistic and I figure out I could do something like BSG.

PS: Sad to hear they don't have a webpage to show their reels or even a breakdown of the scenes, some of the shots in BSG are pretty impresive. I will love to know how steep where the deadlines.

virtualcomposer
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Greetings from "Kat" from BSG season 1 (here and there) 2 and 3.
If you are looking for BSG info I can more than likely help you.
Please hit my site at www.battlestarvfx.com for more information.

Cheers.

I have to say that it is the most amazing television show to date in my opinion. It has definitely influenced my camera movements and control when I animate now. I wonder if they would ever do a really good remake of Buck Rogers with that type of style and story? :D

Mr_Q
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
It's sad seeing it come to a close this season. I was part of "team Zoic" who helped kick off the show. Mainly on RnD and some shots for the pilot and into the first season. I really was proud of what we did and the look for the pilot and first couple of seasons.

The show still looks good and is a lot of fun. But now it's behind us/them, and goes in to the scrap book with the long list of other SciFi shows we've put to bed. I wonder if it will be the last epic Sci-Fi space battle show for quite some time....[sniff sniff]

geothefaust
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
It's sad seeing it come to a close this season. I was part of "team Zoic" who helped kick off the show. Mainly on RnD and some shots for the pilot and into the first season. I really was proud of what we did and the look for the pilot and first couple of seasons.

The show still looks good and is a lot of fun. But now it's behind us/them, and goes in to the scrap book with the long list of other SciFi shows we've put to bed. I wonder if it will be the last epic Sci-Fi space battle show for quite some time....[sniff sniff]

Thank you sir for your work. BSG is amazing, on all fronts (ok there is some excessive use of 'frack', lol), I really enjoy the show!

virtualcomposer
01-28-2009, 11:59 PM
For me the show has a combo of nearly everything great about a show. I got season 3 for Christmas and WOW!!!!!!!!!! The battle scene on caprica was simply amazing. I also loved when the XO was talking about losing your dignity. I will definatey be getting all the seasons this year and place it in my permenant DVD collection. Another thing I love is the human realism that the show has. Almost makes you think about allot if things in real life.