PDA

View Full Version : 9.5-9.6 Best new feature is stability

icegiantnewtek
01-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi All.
I work for an Ad Agency in Dublin, Ireland and I have been using Lightwave since v7 and love it and after years of trial and error I am finally using it for commercial projects on a regular basis which as you know makes getting up on a Monday morning much easier when youíre going to work to do something you love doing.

The 2 things that consistently made me have sleepless nights and wonder whether Iíd chosen the right software were the render speeds on pre-Intel Macs and the complete lack of stability. I really wanted to recommend LW to others and I did but always with the condition that they get used to the constant crashing and learn to save their files every few mins etc etc. The other thing was the older Macs were so slow for high-res renders for Print artwork, it just made some projects unfeasible.

Then things started to change with Apple going the Intel and Newtek going UB. The speeds Iím getting out of my MacPro still amaze me compared to what I was using. But the crashing was still there all day every day.

I had been on these forums regularly searching for answers and at least knew I wasnít the only one and also realised that these forums were one of the reasons I stuck it out, thank you all, you know who you are, youíre all life-savers! I have to also thank Ben Vost from Newtekís Europe office who was fantastic help every time I was in touch with him.

Then everything changed with 9.5 Beta. The first few times I used it, it actually felt weird, Iím not joking, it actually took me a few weeks to get used to not having that sinking feeling every hour or two when it crashed or the fear of loading a new image into Image Viewer or even changing View Mode in Modeler. Now I can get my work done so much more quickly and confidently.

Anyway what Iím trying to say is thanks a million to all involved in getting already great and exciting software to the state of Speed and Stability Nirvana it is now. You have no idea how much easier my working life is now.
Iíve been using 9.5 and Iím glad to say that the best new feature is the stability and Iím downloading 9.6 and canít wait to use it.

Thanks again all.

IceGiant.

donc
01-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I chose lightwave as my Macintosh 3D-platform-of-choice back when version 7.5 was just released. It was as stable as photoshop and the render quality blew me away. I kept that old box locked down to OSX 10.2.8 lightwave 7.5c with the ATI graphics driver lightwavebugfix update installed.

Since then I have paid for upgrades an tried them but found that were to unstable for me to bet a deadline on. I considered switching to another 3D package many times over the years but I love the look of the lightwave renderer. It makes my clients go WOW.

Chilton you are the man! Following your advice given in this forum, two months ago I determined it was time to try lightwave 9.5.1 beta on a live project. So, 50+ illustrations and several animations later...

Welcome lightwave 9.6!!!!!

You guys rock!

I can't wait to dig into all these new features.

D

eblu
01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been on board since 5.6D. Mac all the way.
I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

Giacomo99
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Preach it, brother!

Kuzey
01-24-2009, 06:37 AM
I hope all the remaining bugs gets fixed for the 64bit version....then, I'll be over the moon or maybe even Mars :hey:

Kuzey

accom
01-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I hope all the remaining bugs gets fixed for the 64bit version....then, I'll be over the moon or maybe even Mars :hey:

Kuzey

Or just 'threshold'. :)

Yes, NT, thanx for this latest release!

toby
01-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Hi All.
I work for an Ad Agency in Dublin, Ireland and I have been using Lightwave since v7 and love it and after years of trial and error I am finally using it for commercial projects on a regular basis which as you know makes getting up on a Monday morning much easier when youíre going to work to do something you love doing.

The 2 things that consistently made me have sleepless nights and wonder whether Iíd chosen the right software were the render speeds on pre-Intel Macs and the complete lack of stability. I really wanted to recommend LW to others and I did but always with the condition that they get used to the constant crashing and learn to save their files every few mins etc etc. The other thing was the older Macs were so slow for high-res renders for Print artwork, it just made some projects unfeasible.

Then things started to change with Apple going the Intel and Newtek going UB. The speeds Iím getting out of my MacPro still amaze me compared to what I was using. But the crashing was still there all day every day.

I had been on these forums regularly searching for answers and at least knew I wasnít the only one and also realised that these forums were one of the reasons I stuck it out, thank you all, you know who you are, youíre all life-savers! I have to also thank Ben Vost from Newtekís Europe office who was fantastic help every time I was in touch with him.

Then everything changed with 9.5 Beta. The first few times I used it, it actually felt weird, Iím not joking, it actually took me a few weeks to get used to not having that sinking feeling every hour or two when it crashed or the fear of loading a new image into Image Viewer or even changing View Mode in Modeler. Now I can get my work done so much more quickly and confidently.

Anyway what Iím trying to say is thanks a million to all involved in getting already great and exciting software to the state of Speed and Stability Nirvana it is now. You have no idea how much easier my working life is now.
Iíve been using 9.5 and Iím glad to say that the best new feature is the stability and Iím downloading 9.6 and canít wait to use it.

Thanks again all.

IceGiant.
Just imagine what people went through before OSX. Fortunately for me I was just learning at the time, no production deadlines (6.0). The Mac forum here was littered with pulled-out-hair, blood, sweat and tears. Radiosity would crash the whole machine, as would hypervoxels if you tried to multi-thread.

icegiantnewtek
01-29-2009, 02:15 AM
It must have been tough alright. Although they must have known they were onto a good thing to stick it out and hopefully they are too having a much easier life now as a result.

DONCís post about having his older machine 'locked down' with a stable version makes such sense. It was a good idea and I admire his will power to resist updating to the newest versions with nice goodies all the time. It did make me laugh though, I have visions of the stand-alone computer from the first Mission Impossible film that nobody could touch. In itís own clinical room accessible by suspension wires only. The ultimate expression of "DONíT TOUCH MY LIGHTWAVE MACHINE!!!" Ha Ha! We have all been there I think.

toby
01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
7.5c and 10.2 was a great combo. Back then I was working in 2 LW copies, after effects and several others, usually had at least one thing rendering in the background, on a 1gb g4, and didn't reboot for 1 or 2 months at a time, no problems.