PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #22 - Devices of Unfortunate Ergonomics

Nangleator
01-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Devices of Unfortunate Ergonomics
Any machine with terribly inconvenient, poorly thought out, or outright lethal engineering short-sightedness.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 28 January 2200 GMT.

colkai
01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Hoo boy, I can't wait to see the stomach churning entries on this one. :p

flakester
01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
I can see that I'll have to put some extra time and thought in on this one!
Good call. :thumbsup:

flakester.

Nangleator
01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
I guess I can't qualify for my own subject, but I might enter, just for the fun of it!

art
01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Very nice subject. I can't wait to see the entries :)

cresshead
01-23-2009, 07:51 AM
my brain hurts just starting to think about this!

RollerJesus
01-23-2009, 07:51 AM
I think some of my failed attempts at previous challenges might qualify for this one as is.

colkai
01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I guess I can't qualify for my own subject, but I might enter, just for the fun of it!

It's the law, didn't you know that? ;) :D

shadowlock
01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
First thing that popped into my head......

Theoretical application versus Practical Application....

1. terribly inconvenient (See guy in 2nd render)
2. poorly thought out (again See guy in 2nd render)
3. outright lethal engineering short-sightedness (OK...Ok, just look at 2nd render) :D

~15 modeling
~30 Texturing rendering

:D

Borrowed the head from the 9.6 content pack

Nangleator
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Hah! Shadowlock goes with a nonfictional subject, and a good one!

shadowlock
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
If anyone is too young to remeber the time before product safty reviews.... :thumbsup:

flakester
01-23-2009, 10:55 AM
First thing that popped into my head......

Theoretical application versus Practical Application....

1. terribly inconvenient (See guy in 2nd render)
2. poorly thought out (again See guy in 2nd render)
3. outright lethal engineering short-sightedness (OK...Ok, just look at 2nd render) :D ~

Oooooh, that's a doozy!! Ace idea.

flakester.

JCG
01-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Unergonomic? Poorly thought-out? Outright lethal?
No need for imagination!
Behold the bane of any 21st century consumer! The clamshell packaging!!

Nangleator
01-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Bastard that invented that ought to be locked in a room after being injected with poison. The antidote... YES. In one of those packages! Hah!

Good job!

Oedo 808
01-23-2009, 09:03 PM
lol @ shadowlock, that's a funky entry. Ahh, the good old days before Elf 'n' Safety.

@JCG, too true, those bloody things are practically scissors-proof! Though I think I can detect a secret fondness for your subject matter in that render. ;)

R.Feeney
01-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Nice work guys.
A can opener can work on those clamshell nightmares, sometimes...

shadowlock
01-24-2009, 08:21 AM
:D Thanks for the comments guys, I needed a distraction from my monotonus work!

flakester
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Yet again, wonderful entries so far.

I couldn't yet think of anything quite as apt for the subject as the Jarts, or the blisterpack / clamshell [well thought of, both of them!], so I've gone for a fictional entry.

I give you, The Stoopid Gun.

just a sniff over 50 mins for the modelling, and about 45 mins for the rest.
The model is available too, if anyone wants it.

flakester.

Hopper
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Sorry .. I just had to - couldn't resist. The Jarts thing just got me goin ...

http://www.gizmo-central.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/dangerous-toy.jpg

Oedo 808
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
@ flakester: Nice one, it took me too long to catch on to the design flaw. And I would definitely struggle with getting that glove to look right, good stuff. :thumbsup:

@ Hopper: Lmao, that picture is a classic. :D

Iain
01-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Excellent image Hopper!

Hopper
01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Excellent image Hopper!
Oh .. that wasn't mine btw .. Just a snag from some random site. I thought it fit our theme quite well. Gave me a chuckle.

shadowlock
01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
You just need a pool of lemon juice at the bottom..... :devil:

shadowlock
01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok. This one falls under "not in a million years" category....

But......

Budweiser future business division unveils there new Toddler Ale with convenient nipple attachment for the drunk baby on the go….

So thie either gets a :D or a :devil:

flakester
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Ha! Cool idea. :thumbsup:

I was at least seven years old before I had my first slurp of light & bitter, I could've got on the booze earlier with those bad boys!! :D

flakester.

Nangleator
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Gah! Shadowlock, that's so wrong!

Budweiser... Ptew!!

Nice job and imaginative.

I better get on the job. I've been so busy lately.

shadowlock
01-26-2009, 04:48 PM
The budweiser was just the first label I could find on google in the right orientation. I don't like Budweiser that much either.....

:thumbsup:

lwanmtr
01-27-2009, 11:43 PM
the baby beer looks good..only comment is that the nipples dont look much like baby bottle nipples...too reflective...hehe

shadowlock
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
the baby beer looks good..only comment is that the nipples dont look much like baby bottle nipples...too reflective...hehe

It was just a quick idea mainly to get the point across. I cheated a bit I used fast skin and changed the color :D

colkai
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm disappointed I didn't get time to try an idea on this, but I spent so long backing myself into corners, it ain't even funny. Lack of Brandy that is I think. :p

Nangleator
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I know, I brainlocked myself, too, as well as suffering from a very busy week.

shadowlock
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Everyone is too wrapped up on the Newtek Core thing to post entries :D

Nangleator
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I know. Why bother modeling when the next version, which is coming out in a few days, will have telepathic modeling?

shadowlock
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Is there going to be a new contest today? I need something to do between the refreshes of the Newtek Core thread :D

colkai
01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I was going to do a mouse, but jeez, do I suck at sub-D or what? :p
The idea at least was one button on the front, one near the back with the wheel right where your palm would rest. Thought I'd have the cable coming out of the side for good measure too. However, seeing as idiot of the week here couldn't get the gorramn mesh anything like, ahem, well, ya know. :cursin: :help:
Mind you, not helped by something I have now discovered, using the knife tool can merge points on your mesh. Had to cut and paste based on surface after a knife as it had welded two parts of the mouse together. Another bit of info now added to my databank.

art
01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
"core" should be the subject of this week's challenge. :)

EDIT: ...even though the subject is quite limited.

shadowlock
01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
"core" should be the subject of this week's challenge. :)

Well this challenge would end the same time the countdown does :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
01-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I think Time as a subject for the next one. Works with the countdown :D

Oedo 808
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I got caught up in this Core stuff and couldn't be arsed to do surfaces, which would have included the appropriate sign, like "No strings attached!".

Lots of LWCAD used.

lwanmtr
01-28-2009, 03:04 PM
lol

Kuzey
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I've been too busy with my little tin marching band, oh wait and that core thingy.... :D

Kuzey

adamredwoods
01-28-2009, 04:45 PM
there were layoffs at work... i'll try to catch the next challenge. Great job to those who entered! Keep going!

Nangleator
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
shadowlock, the lawn dart entry made me laugh out loud, and I'm impressed at the creation of a whole environment, and presumably the editing of the expression on the 9.6 head.

JCG, the clamshell packaging was a good choice, and I like the crimping and edge around the package. The rendering was odd and felt incomplete, but it's not a rendering contest.

Flakester, gotta love the ACME punching gun. The concept and modeling and rendering are all great. I'm particularly impressed by the shape of the glove, the shape of the handle plus trigger guard and other details. All within an hour is really something!

shadowlock, the baby beer image is a good render and a great concept. The nipples were a little weird, and the modeling was simple and straightforward.

Oedo 808, "No strings attached" is very ambitious, particularly if you modeled that gumbie-ish character, too. I wish I had given you 90 minutes for the challenge, just to see the crazy banner you'd come up with!

Good work, all!

For modeling in a consistent style, for accuracy and skill, I have to give it to Flakester!

shadowlock
01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Way to go Flakester :thumbsup:

TripD
01-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Awesome entries everyone!!

Congrats Flakester!

Agreed about CORE being the next subject. Maybe a logo for it?

Oedo 808
01-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Oedo 808, "No strings attached" is very ambitious, particularly if you modeled that gumbie-ish character, too. I wish I had given you 90 minutes for the challenge, just to see the crazy banner you'd come up with!

Thanks Nangleator, I should really have done the banner, I actually modelled that a fair bit before I posted it, as in the day before, but I also got distracted by all the Core hysterics which I'm enjoying. In the end I didn't even include any wires so I could have taken the extra time as I didn't qualify anyway.

But to be honest it looks like more effort when into it than really did. All the cranes are, is a box, tripled, arrayed, tapered a touch, poly to curve (LWCAD) and thickened using LWCADs Profiler tool. Same for the cage in fact. I'll post a close up of the 'gumbie-ish' character later, that should be good for a laugh.

For modeling in a consistent style, for accuracy and skill, I have to give it to Flakester!

Congratulations Flakester! Yeah, I do like how that glove turned out, shapes like that shouldn't be difficult, but they often become a real sticky wicket. Good stuff.

Great work everyone else!

colkai
01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Congrats Flakester!

Iain
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Nice one guys! Congratulations Flakester. Great entries all round.

Next one:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=816845#post816845

I should have some time to get an entry in this time. Famous last words :)

colkai
01-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Nice one guys! Congratulations Flakester. Great entries all round.

Next one:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=816845#post816845

I should have some time to get an entry in this time. Famous last words :)

Heh, me and thee both, I dare not mention if I plan to do something these days. Life always is hiding in the wings with a "oh, ya think so huh?" :p

3DeeNut
01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Well I rocked this out as fast as I could. Just made the time limit. The model took me about 38 minutes, layout took the rest. I had a lightdome made already and used it for reflections... hope thats ok. Anyhow... introducing my first challenge enrtry ever... The Acme Thumbsmasher! I would have much rather had this with a hand holding a nail in place with this wobbly hammer in motion towards the nail and some sort of foreshadowing of the thumb in the line of fire... but... given the short time limit i figured this would have to do....

Anyhow, i'd love to hear what you all think. I hope to be doing more of these challenges, i think they are a great idea.

Crap, just realized i think i may have missed the deadline... =(

Nangleator
01-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Dang! Missed it by a lot, but wow, great submission! Exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for!

Anyway, you got exactly what you were supposed to out of the challenge. A good learning experience and a good laugh.

Nangleator
01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Crikey, what that thing would do to your knuckles if you missed the whole wall...

3DeeNut
01-30-2009, 02:59 PM
yea, i thought the de4adline was friday for some reason. This was my first entry and now i kindaknow the rules. I saw the post the other day and was like, oh, perfect that sounds like fun. If i have time friday, ill knock one out =) Fridays here at work are normally a bit slow in the afternoons. It was a ton of fun tho. Glad I did it anyhow.

3DeeNut
01-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Here is the wireframe... maybe i should read submission guidelines prior to entry huh?

2 models, nail and hammer... do I get extra credit? :)

3DeeNut
01-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Crikey, what that thing would do to your knuckles if you missed the whole wall...

I'd be more worried about my jewels.... lol

flakester
01-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Sorry for the silence folks, been working long hours off-site for the past few days.

Cheers to everyone; :thumbsup: great entries all round.
Hope to see you enter more of these 3DeeNut, that was a pretty cool concept.

Think it's time for a sandwich while I check out the next challenge subject... :D

flakester.

Kuzey
01-31-2009, 06:45 AM
yea, i thought the de4adline was friday for some reason. This was my first entry and now i kindaknow the rules. I saw the post the other day and was like, oh, perfect that sounds like fun. If i have time friday, ill knock one out =) Fridays here at work are normally a bit slow in the afternoons. It was a ton of fun tho. Glad I did it anyhow.

Btw. the 60 minute limit is for modeling part only, with the render...you can take as long as you like.

Great work :thumbsup:

Kuzey

3DeeNut
02-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the support... Its nice to get involved! I am working on my "core" today and hope to be a continuing member of this thread. Hope to get a few minutes to work on it between billable work. Stupid clients :devil:

I think i have a cool idea already.

P.S. The thread is not listed on the main page for Speed Modeling Challenges yet.