PDA

View Full Version : I just got a new macbook pro...

archiea
01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
hey gang...

I haven't loaded 9.6 on it yet, but I wanted to pass this deal along...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547574-REG/Apple_MB134LL_A_15_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

its a feb2008 model... "last years"... you save 35%.. basically shaving $1000 off the price .. the price of a macbook...
whats nice is that you get a 2.5 ghz as opposed to a 2.4 ghz with a smaller cache, plus you get the 512 MB graphics memory instead of 256...

LED backlight...

first batch of the multi touch pad macbook pros, but not the same as the no button trackpads that the new one have, but same functionality...

Matte finish screen!!! if you don;t like gloss screens its the only way to get a matte finished 15" macbook pro!

Firewire 400 and 800... the newer ones only have FW 800.

USB port on both sides... good for left/right handers if you use a wired mouse...

If you are upgrading from a core 1 duo laptop, the core 2 duo will support the 64bit OS natively i believe... core1 duos are 32 bit procs...

If you are upgrading from a powerbook G4, like I was, this machine is a huge boost in processing speed. it also runs cooler since your procs don't have to be at 100% when its simply displaying a flash enabled website!!!!

The newer macbooks have a 1066mhz buss while this one has the 667/800 variety, but that just makes getting ram for it cheaper! The newer ones are solid chunks of aluminum and are solid. this one is still the skin-based aluminum.. but i have to say its more solid as my near identical 15" powerbook.
The newer macbook pros have two GPU's: one for extended battery life, the other for performance. The older one just has the high performance GPU.

this one fits 4 gb of ram, but folks have shoehorned a total of 6bg.

enjoy!