PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to go about this

TRCC
01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey all, Ive been given the task to turn the following logo into a coin type object in lightwave. Dont have alot of time, and dont need to texture it. Im not worried about the lettering, or the cylindars, but what puzzles me is the man figurine. I havent worked much with organic shaped objects.

How would you go about modeling this guy? Keep in mind its a coin, I basically need him as a figure, and then extrude him to the depth I want.

Splines and patches? Points to polys, pen?

Any input would be helpful, thanks.
Im pretty novice at it btw...

Luke

SplineGod
01-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I would do most or all of it as a bump map.
You can use something like makehuman which is free to generate a 3d figure. In LW you can render out the depth buffer of the figure to use for your bump map.
You can get makehuman here:
http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index.php

JMCarrigan
01-22-2009, 07:59 PM
It's done already, using the image you have.

JMCarrigan
01-22-2009, 08:16 PM
This was done in the last few minutes using the image you have. Much more could be accomplished with an addition of a subtle blurring of a version of the image, making some nice edges etc

I think it took longer to send this post and attached image!:D

SplineGod
01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
True. I was thinking that you might want to see some musculature on the character etc etc.

JMCarrigan
01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh yeah Larry! I wasn't suggesting that your way was wrong. I just read his question and went right for an answer, not THE answer.

SplineGod
01-22-2009, 10:10 PM
LOL! Not a problem. I was saying the same thing but in reverse :)

dwburman
01-22-2009, 11:08 PM
You possibly paint the musculature in photoshop as part of the bump map. :)