PDA

View Full Version : Can you reverse the layout timeline?

darmstro
01-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I need to take a 1250 frame scene and reverse the action. Is there a way to flip the timeline?

Greenlaw
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure if TimeWarp is working properly but, theoretically, you could use it to reverse all the keys in your scene. (FWIW, it didn't work properly the last time I used it, but that was a long time ago. Maybe it's working correctly in 9.6?)

Alternatively, you could output the frames normally, load the frames in a compositer or video editor, use whatever method is available to reverse the sequence, and then output the 'backwards' version.

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Or you could also bake the motion of your objects to .mdd files, and then apply the .mdd's to the objects in a new scene, and reverse the displacement by entering -100% in the speed setting. Some .mdd players, like MDD_MetaPointer or PointOven Reader for example, will even let you completely remap the motion with an envelope.

Greenlaw

darmstro
01-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Hmmm. Timewarp seems to only want to work on cameras. Will check further. Thanks.

Greenlaw
01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
I should point out if you reverse the animation in LightWave, your motion blur will be different, which may or may not make a difference for you. Either way, it's still easier to simply reverse the frame sequence after rendering. (Which can also be done using a capable file renaming program like the excellent and free LupasRename.)

Greenlaw
01-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Hmmm. Timewarp seems to only want to work on cameras. Will check further. Thanks.

Oh, shoot, I believe you're right. Sorry.

You could also try loading everything into the Graph Editor (Uncollapse the Hierarchy by clicking the little icon in the New Scene Editor, select everything, and then use Get Selected in the Graph Editor,) select all your keyframes, and then select Invert Selected Keys. This can get iffy though, especially for large complicated scenes, and also you will need to do separate passes for the camera and lights, and you'll probably have to forget about effects like particles and dynamics.

Ugh! IMO, it would be easier to just reverse the frame numbers of the rendered frames as previously described.

Greenlaw

Edit: Wait, I just found an easier way to load everything into the graph editor: Select all the keys for everything in the new scene editor's Dope Sheet, then right-click and select Edit in Graph Editor. This loads the channels for all main object types (i.e., objects, cameras and lights,) which you can flip using Invert Selected Keys. Bear in mind that this method only works for keyframed animation. (i.e, not .mdd or other fx animations.)

Greenlaw
01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Oh, one more possibility: I'm not sure if this will work for you but, depending on the nature of your scene, you could turn everything into MotionMixer actors, and then reverse the TimeWarp curve for the clip on the MotionMixer timeline. Basically, you'll be reconstructing your scene in reverse this way.

Mr Rid
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
...t's still easier to simply reverse the frame sequence after rendering. (Which can also be done using a capable file renaming program like the excellent and free LupasRename.)

What he said.

lwanmtr
01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
you can reverse frame order in AfterEffects

darmstro
01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
I've been just running it through AfterEffects to reverse the order after rendering. I need to make significant changes to the animation, however and was hoping to find a way to reverse the timeline before making those changes. It has been working to simply run the preview backwards in Layout and make all my changes going from right to left but it takes a little longer to think that way. . .

eblu
01-26-2009, 11:01 AM
used to be able to do it in the classic scene editor, but that seems to be broken now.

Mr Rid
01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Classic scene editor- 'Select All Objects,'

Graph Editor- click Shift+G to show all channels of selected items (or enable 'Track Item Selection' under Options). R-click+drag to select all the keys. Under Keys, 'Invert Selected Keys.'

Then do the same for any keyframed lights and cameras. HVs and dynamics (invert MDD playback speed) have to handled separately.

dwburman
01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
If you just want to see how the animation looks in reverse, you could simply play the timeline in reverse or make a preview and watch that in reverse. You probably already know this, but it's easy to overlook the simple things when you're in the middle of a project. :)

I've been just running it through AfterEffects to reverse the order after rendering. I need to make significant changes to the animation, however and was hoping to find a way to reverse the timeline before making those changes. It has been working to simply run the preview backwards in Layout and make all my changes going from right to left but it takes a little longer to think that way. . .