PDA

View Full Version : Please convince me buying a toaster

Akelig
08-12-2003, 06:50 AM
Hi,

I'm a professional 3d artist/editor and working on
digisuiteLEmax with speedrazor 5.5, lightwave, aura etc.

I'm looking for a new tool , would the toaster do the trick?
I read about several realtime functions, but the documents
do not mention how far it will stay realtime, or when it needs rendering. I also want to know what the animating posibility's
are in CG for example. Can I make diffent textlayers on 2 streams of video with dve's and then crossfade/move them?
How does it treat a 32bit targa sequence on top of that?
quality? Do I still need compositing programmes like combustion
or after effects?

The other option I have is a targa3000 with speedrazor...
I am working with Lightwave and aura for 10 years now so I
like Newtek's product very much.

Please anyone convince me truthfully, I only can spent my money
once....:confused:

Norman
08-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Don't take anyone's word for what it can do, either visit a dealer or an enduser to get a demo and trust your eyes.

prospector
08-12-2003, 08:17 AM
if you've been using Aura and LW for 10 years then ya should know that Newtek won't sell ya half baked stuff.

As the song goes..
go get it
be happy
be happy now:D

Jim Capillo
08-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Probably the most important factor is buying a powerful host computer. Since all the processing is done in software, the faster the computer, the better. I have a dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz with 2 gb RAM, SCSI RAID (10k drives) and IDE RAID as well. I have gotten 6-8 streams realtime without pushing it. With background rendering, you're free to continue working while any needed renders go on without impeding on your work (that's with a slower system, of course). There are some restrictions (as of now) that limit what you can DVE - but you can force render that out as another clip and then reinsert that in the project. I've been told that those limitations will be eliminated in future releases.

Choose your new system carefully - I am now a firm believer in software based systems, although I wasn't initially. For instance, take my last system, the Trinity. It is hardware based, and as soon as it ran up against a wall or two, it required new hardware. The new owners are still struggling with more than a few factors that I believe are going to cost the owners of those boxes many thousands of dollars to upgrade. And it still won't be as powerful as the VT[3]. If I hooked my dual Xeon up to my Trinity, it wouldn't be one bit faster than it is now with a 266 mhz driving it. Avid and Media100 are also hardware based.

It really is a simple decision - VT[3] is the best value for the buck on the planet.....

IMPERIAL
08-12-2003, 08:25 PM
I have 3 Digisuite users blessing me for convincing them to switch to toaster. Ofcourse I had to demonstrate first. So you better check it out youself. I use single p4 2.4g with 2 segate ata100 40gb disks, and I have no problems with real time effects with dv compression up to 5 layers. For uncomressed you will need atleast more disks and maybe scsi too. I still use VT2.. VT3 with all updates will be even more pleasing expiriance.
As soon as you will get used to Toasted Edit... wich is half hour... you will be blessing me too :)

Akelig
08-13-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanx!
The only thing is...there is no toaster dealer in the netherlands
only lightwave dealers. So demonstration will be difficult.

Anyone in the vicinity of the netherlands who wants to demonstrate me a toaster?

Norman
08-13-2003, 12:18 AM
Bummer Akelig,

I hope you find someone close so you can see it in action, and if not, buy it anyway, you won't be disappointed.

SBowie
08-13-2003, 06:13 AM
I'm late jumping in here, but want to support what others have said. My system is similar to Jim's, described above. What's "rendering?" ;)

BTW, I had a guy in here the other day who had previously used a Targa3000, and finds the VT output significantly better looking.

Akelig
08-13-2003, 06:16 AM
Okay you all making me very enhousiastic......some more
and my head starts banging!

What about animated masks? does Vedit have that?

SBowie
08-13-2003, 08:00 AM
VT-Edit really has no inherent mask support to date.

Of course, as you know, you can do this sort of thing readily in AuraVT, and you can create 'mask-DVEs' there too which can be applied in VT-Edit ... nevertheless, this is something that often comes up in the feature request lists.

Pete Draves
08-13-2003, 10:53 AM
Razor 5.5 and toaster3

A great combination
the best of all worlds

Razor works with t3k clips digisuite clips and toaster clips all in the same project.

works great

(i am ex t3k user and ex digisuite user)

Pete

Akelig
08-14-2003, 12:18 AM
Pete, on the in-sync forum you say there is an audio sync problem with the toaster? Is this also in the VT applications as well?

Keith Gandy
08-14-2003, 12:37 AM
Akelig,

Two responses to two different posts:

We have been using VT2 for one year - never once have we had an audio-sync problem. To my recollection, that comes from a DV signal, but we are using an analog (betcam) signal feed. Never once have we found it to be a problem.

You asked about a demo. We are located 30 minutes east of Frankfurt - closer than doing a demo in the states. Should it be of help, drop me an email. We'll get it set up for you.

Akelig
08-14-2003, 12:40 AM
Thanx! you make my day :D
I'm looking foreward to it!

Keith Gandy
08-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Here is my email - we can take any details about a demo time off-line: keith at bgab.de

Remember to replace the at with the @ sign.

Akelig
08-14-2003, 12:48 AM
I alreay mailed you on the email of this forum, is it the same?

Pete Draves
08-14-2003, 06:48 AM
Razor problems with audio sync fixed in new build.
The problem was a shift of 4 frames
Pete

wvp
08-19-2003, 05:28 PM
I would unfortunatly have to say be careful about the VT3.
First, it really is a good design with a lot of potential. No one else seems to come close with the no-render performance and the price. The community here is second to none.
Having said all that, VT3 has bugs in it (like any new software). The toaster (2 or 3) has had continuing problems with 1) Audio (input/output levels, and lack of db meters (it has meters, they just don't reference anything). 2) CG (crashes easily, [VT2] poor interface, and fonts are not listed alphabetically. 3) Plug-ins/Filters (very limited support in the area)
You can search these boards for more about all this as well as look at the feature requests to get an idea of what it does not do.
Sounds like an update is not far off, but time will tell what it actually fixes.

Pete Draves
08-19-2003, 06:45 PM
because of all of these problems
I use razor which has a very large plugin support
For audio I use a Lynx card
Much better sound over toaster audio. even has real meters

The toaster card has the best video for the buck
even better than the targa 3000

comes with lightwave , verrrrry good
comes with aura, verrrry good

the waveform and vectorscope are available in razor

the bugs in the toaster edit don't seem to affect the operation in razor 5.5