PDA

View Full Version : Straight to LW9.6 for OSX?

GoneGuy
01-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Ooh! Newtek's redecorated. Nice new site!

Last time I was here inquiring about LW9.5 it wasn't available for OSX, now we've jumped straight to LW9.6 yes?

I'll search and see if I can put myself on Newtek's newsletter and announcements mailer.

Chilton
01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi,

Unlike a lot of software, we keep both Mac and PC versions of LightWave completely in synch with each other. With the exception of platform specific stuff, if a version comes out for the PC, the Mac version will have 100% of the PC version's capabilities. The 9.6 release is identical (feature-wise) on the Mac and PC platforms.

However, when 9.5 was released, we still had a number of Mac specific bugs (some going back many generations of the product) that we felt were too egregious to justify releasing the product. So we didn't, but kept it in our free Open Beta program as we ironed those out.

I'm happy to say, 9.6 is free of those bugs. And while I'm sure there are a few loose ends still in there, this version should entirely address the stability bugs for the Mac version. In my entirely biased opinion, it's by far the best Mac version of LightWave to date. ;)

-Chilton

GoneGuy
01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I had wondered whether this was the case and appreciate the update Chilton.

MyersCreative
01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
It's been a while since I tried to install LW on my intel since it wasn't supported. I just installed 9.6 which in itself was wonderful. BUT, subpatch weights are still not working for me. Was there a major change somewhere??? Back to the manuals to see what's going on I guess.

CaptainMarlowe
01-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Hi,

In my entirely biased opinion, it's by far the best Mac version of LightWave to date. ;)

-Chilton

It is indeed. LW 9.6 just rocks.

fahr
02-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Since there's no 64-bit version for the mac, can I assume that Lightwave is a carbon app? :)

Does Newtek have plans for supporting 64-bit on the mac platform?

Chilton
02-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi,

Since there's no 64-bit version for the mac, can I assume that Lightwave is a carbon app? :)

Technically, no, you cannot make that assumption. There are many Cocoa apps for the Mac (including 3D apps) that are not 64-bit compatible.

But yes, LightWave is mostly Carbon. It does actually have some Cocoa sections already, but the current 9.6 is mostly Carbon.

Does Newtek have plans for supporting 64-bit on the mac platform?

I think it's a fair assumption that at some point in the future, since all current Macs are 64-bit compatible, since Leopard is fully 64-bit compatible, and since we already have a 64-bit version of LightWave on Windows, that we'll have a 64-bit version of LightWave for the Mac platform as well.

Aside from that, I don't think we've said anything specific about our 64-bit plans.

-Chilton

fahr
02-01-2009, 11:48 AM
That's great to hear. I figured that 64-bit support was forthcoming, but there is always a nagging fear that it's not going to happen without some kind of confirmation from Newtek. While this is not an official confirmation, it's good enough for me! :)