PDA

View Full Version : SUPER SIMPLE: number of splits in BANDSAW PRO

jin choung
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
howdy,

i bring this up every now and again hoping that this really really simple request gets implemented next time so here goes again:

it would be really really nice if we could have a numeric entry determining how many equidistant splits bandsaw pro generates.

right now, you can just "add" and then hit the equalize button to do the same thing but it's kinda clunky if i just want 20 subdivisions along this row of polys.

number of splits + noise (for random, not equidistant placing) would be awesome.

useful and easy. very cheap sweat equity!

jin

Matt
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Set it up once in the 'Cut' tool config, bam, done.

jin choung
01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Set it up once in the 'Cut' tool config, bam, done.

but for EVERY TIME you want to cut different numbers of rows?

jin

Scazzino
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Something like modo's loop slice would be nice... :thumbsup:

Matt
01-22-2009, 02:29 AM

jin

So basically, rather than adding by clicking, you'd want also a numeric entry?

jin choung
01-22-2009, 02:42 AM
So basically, rather than adding by clicking, you'd want also a numeric entry?

exactly. like i said, the clicking is clumsy. especially if you want large numbers of divisions.

colkai
01-22-2009, 03:06 AM
exactly. like i said, the clicking is clumsy. especially if you want large numbers of divisions.

I agree, I've often struggled with this, time consuming too. Doesn't help that the julienne tool is not 100% at times.
Be so nice to have a simple numeric panel for the number of slices, which of course, it would have to treat as for uniform slices.

Matt
01-22-2009, 03:19 AM
I see. Doesn't help that it also slows to a crawl on large models.

I would also LOVE to see Bandsaw cut with _REAL DIMENSIONS_ as well as percentage.

Weetos
01-22-2009, 05:00 AM

Maybe a LScript could create a specific bandsaw config file from the user input and then run bandsaw on the selection (provided Bandsaw can be driven by LScript) - dunno

evenflcw
01-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Bandsaw sucks as it can only do a single complete loop! And the workaround (normalflipping) to limit the cut is just pathetic.

But if I play along, in addition to straight numeric input for splits/segments, implement the arrow keys as shortcuts to increase and decrease this value.

As always though, NT really needs to consolidate all the similar tools - Bandsaw, Bandsaw Pro, Cut, QuickSaw, Connect, Add Edge, (Edge Bevel, Rounder) - and not keep "integrating" every other tool that seemingly adds one more aspect or handles one more specialized situation.

Weetos
01-22-2009, 07:02 AM
But if I play along, in addition to straight numeric input for splits/segments, implement the arrow keys as shortcuts to increase and decrease this value.

As always though, NT really needs to consolidate all the similar tools - Bandsaw, Bandsaw Pro, Cut, QuickSaw, Connect, Add Edge, (Edge Bevel, Rounder) - and not keep "integrating" every other tool that seemingly adds one more aspect or handles one more specialized situation.

Amen to that.

Sensei
01-22-2009, 07:19 AM
I see. Doesn't help that it also slows to a crawl on large models.

Bandsaw and other edge loop making tools are slow on large models because they are not using LW v9.0 SDK.. Including plug-ins, if you see in minimum requirement v8.x or so, you can be pretty sure they have to analyze whole object to find connections between polygons, instead of special functions from v9+..

hrgiger
01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I'd like to see an interactive slider for the number of cuts (and throw a numeric field in there just for Jin which updates as you slide)

Lewis
02-02-2009, 12:30 AM
I'd like completely new Bandsaw tool combined with CUT and more :D :D. Also it should work like Maya tool where you click and drag slice on actual polygons rather than just on numeric window. Also it would be very cool to use it as Matt mentions with REAL dimensions but leave Percentage like now also. Make it like switch button between Percentage/Real.

HoMe
02-07-2009, 12:24 AM
hi there,
what you think about this....

SAW from Pictrix
makes fun to work with

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Px_Saw/pxsaw-manual.mov
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Px_Saw/Px_Saw.mov

bye, HoMe