PDA

View Full Version : Web Streaming

CollegeTVRules
02-24-2003, 10:08 PM
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I would like to know about people's experiences with using the toaster to stream your live production over the web.

What kind of system is really required to do that well?

What format does it stream? Is it Windows Media or Real or something else?

Any suggestions or other sources of information that I could check?

Thanks,
College TV guy.

Faraz
02-25-2003, 04:11 AM
The Toaster does Windows Media Files. Directly through Windows Media Encoder, which keeps on spitting out frames no matter how slow your machine is. The faster the machine the more time Windows Media Encoder gets to encode it better, to a point of course, Internet Streaming doesn't look perfect to begin with.
If you want a no trouble solution goto a local dealer and see if you can get a Dual Xeon, you really won't need SCSI video drives, you can probably keep all your stuff in DV format and then let the Toaster uncompress them on the fly. Considering Streaming is your final format.

Paul Lara
02-25-2003, 06:03 AM
That's correct, Faraz.
Additionally, you'll need a Windows Media Server or a specialized ISP like InstaWatch (http://www.instawatch.com/) to distribute the stream for you.

CollegeTVRules
02-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Actually, our final format goes to cable TV. The web streaming is a side project, but not our main broadcast.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try it with a P4 2.4GHz, but fortunately we don't have to serve the stream on the same computer as the toaster.
Is the Windows Media encoder built in to the toaster software? Or is just the standard WM encoder that you can download from MS?

Thanks again

Faraz
02-25-2003, 01:45 PM
It's the standered MS Encoder but the Toaster sends it output to the encorder's input.

CollegeTVRules
02-25-2003, 07:57 PM
When I just set it up really quickly, it was taking the Toaster's input. How do I change that in Windows Media?

Faraz
02-26-2003, 01:05 PM
It should take whats outputing through the switcher. You can change your source in the switcher.

I don't have a Toaster for about 3 weeks now, I'm going mental-
Faraz Ahmed