PDA

View Full Version : vista 64 bit on a mac mini

Animapper
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Has anyone successfully gotten vista 64 to run using bootcamp on a mac mini? I'm trying to use the mini as part of a farm for rendering. If I am working in Vista 64 on my main machine, do my render nodes need to be 64 bit too? I like the idea of how little power these mac minis take ( 28 watts) and want to set up 7 more of them with a KVM and let the renders go to the farm.

I'm not sure if I need butterfly netrender or not. Any advice on all this?

Thanks,

Animapper
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I contacted Apple and we determined that only the newest chipsets in the macbook pros can run the 64 bit OS. So it's back to winxp pro 32 bit for the farm. Even the mac pros are not ready for it however, some have gotten xp 64 to load. Apple said don't count on it for production though and wait for the new macs.

nolan
01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
I talked with the tech guys at my local Apple store and was assured that any 64 bit OS would load & run on the new 17' MacbookPro. Will find out as soon as they call to let me know I can pick it up.

wellsichris
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
lets see, where to start, I have a macpro 2008 with xp64 running like a dream. finding drivers is the fun part, but once you do that. it works great. I have a macbookpro, santa rosa chipset. also with xp64. same issues as above "drivers". mac mini I haven't tried. Do you need to have 64 if your main workstation is 64. depends. but the mini is not the answer. you are only going to get 3 gigs of ram in it. which means.... why do you need 64 bit? also they use very little power but have very little power. I don't consider them a viable option. I would say get a mac pro and have the equivalent of 6 mini's in one. easier to manage. and faster.

don't forget google's your friend. that's where I found all my drivers. just have to dig,

cheers,
chris

kopperdrake
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I run XP64 on my Mac Pro with no problems. I installed it mainly for access to the memory as I was always running out in vanilla 32bit XP :)