PDA

View Full Version : Timothy Albee - Character animation

yorkshiretyker
01-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Does anyone have it and would you recommend it for me - I'm still fairly new to lightwave and would like to get to able to create characters and my own rigs in the same way as I have done previously in 3D Max.

Dexter2999
01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I have it. I like it. It doesn't cover rigging.
A good bit of the material covered is stuff you would find in the book, The Animators Survival Kit.
For something that is more LW oriented, I'd consider Larry Shultz IKBoost disk from Kurvstudios. He also has a pretty comprehensive disk on rigging.

yorkshiretyker
01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Dexter2999;810199]I have it. I like it. It doesn't cover rigging.
A good bit of the material covered is stuff you would find in the book, The Animators Survival Kit.QUOTE]

I have the animators survival kit so it sounds like the second half of the book would be a bit repetitive of that, but in Timoth Albee's words.

geothefaust
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
For rigging itself - I'd check out Larry's stuff. It'll get you the basics of it down.

For animation, and I'll be honest... I haven't been able to get through the Timothy Albee animation DVD. I fall asleep every time I watch it. His demeanor is... Well, odd. He talks about the strangest stuff while he's recording it.

Also, "The Animators Survival Kit" that Dexter mentioned is great. It'll help you out with any kind of animation. ;)

kurv
01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
yorkshiretyker, if you have any questions let me know. I can get you more info than whats on our site.

We are also getting ready to run a special discount on specific videos, let me know if your interested.

Thanks!

GregMalick
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Aloha,

If you're specifically looking for a book, I also highly recommend Jonny Gorden's "Cartoon Character Creation" It's two volumes but well worth it. In depth rigging which includes morph maps & expressions and tons of LW technical rigging information. It's not about the basics of animating but other books cover that well. BYW, book-1 covers modeling a couple cartoon characters. No IKB covered in the books (as I recall).

Get Larry's videos if you want IKB coverage.

akademus
01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
How come Albee's Character Animation book doesn't cover rigging???
First 8 chapters are about how to setup rig, bones and weights and how to use controls!

Dexter2999
01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
How come Albee's Character Animation book doesn't cover rigging???
First 8 chapters are about how to setup rig, bones and weights and how to use controls!

Fair enough, I mis-spoke. I was talking about the DVD "Introduction to Animation". I don't have his book and can't speak as to what is or isn't in it.