PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question: Messy UV Map

steamthunk
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
This is probably really simple, but why is it when I do an EPS export of my UV Map and load it into Photoshop I get all these extra lines shooting from the bottom left corner to other points? It looks fine on the modeler viewport (e.g. without those lines).

The map works, but I want to know why I never see this in anyone else's UV maps. I suspect it has something to do with discontinuous points, but I don't know how to avoid it. Perhaps it's just an EPS exporter thing?

Weetos
01-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Looks like a bug to me - what version are you using ?

steamthunk
01-20-2009, 12:05 PM
LW9.5. If I painstakingly unweld and weld my geometries as part of my unwrapping I think I can avoid this so I'm assuming it's some fault of my understanding of UV (still!). Mostly I just let it be because the models render fine anyway. I don't do much texturing, but I know I've seen this going back to at least 9.2.

JeffrySG
01-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Does it look that way in the UV view? If not you might just want to maximize that view and do a screen grab. That usually works fine for me especially for UV maps like this one which is very linear.

WCameron
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
i think those lines are geometry thats not in your UV map. If you hide all the geometry thats not included in the UV it should be gone when you export it out to UV....

- Will.

steamthunk
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Will: I've definitely been picking which strips of geometry to UV map using a combination of multiple planars and UV spider. Is that bad form? I just didn't see any point in fiddling with geometry I knew I'd never paint on.

Jeffrey: UV view is fine. Those weird lines only appear in the EPS export.