PDA

View Full Version : Strobe effect the fast [3] way....

RomainR
08-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Hello to all,

After playing around with the Tool Shed in VT[3] and having the need for strobing video in VT-Edit quite often I came up with the following super fast way to get it done:

We'll do a 3 frame strobe:

1-Have VT-Edit open and put a video clip on the timeline.

2-Drop the hold still filter under the video crouton and make it the same length as the video clip.

3-select the hold still filter and put the position bar to the beginning of it.

4-move the position bar 3 frames into the hold still filter.(this can be done easily by hitting 3 time the right arrow key.)

5-hit the m key to put a marker on the hold still filter.

6-repeat step 4 and 5

7-hit F9 to open the tool shed and go to the Markers and then select Repeat and in repeat select Fill Both.

8- Hit Perform. (you now have bunch of markers filling your hold still filter.)

9- In the Tool Shed now select Razor Cut.

10- Hit perform

Your hold still filter has now been cut up to pieces. Playback the time line and enjoy the strobing.

GoceN
08-12-2003, 02:59 AM
RomainR
Tell did you have VT2 or VT3 for doing that.

Scott Bates
08-12-2003, 07:48 AM
The subject "...[3]..." and use of Tool Shed ("...with the Tool Shed in VT[3]...") tell it all. Thanks Romain.

RomainR
08-12-2003, 08:28 AM
That is correct Scott,

The big [3] is what is used.

Who would want to stay on [2] with all the goodies in [3].

Like, Oh my God, [2] is sooooo passť.

:D

Paul Lara
08-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Brilliant!
Since there's a razor cut, the next hold still clip naturally updates, without any need for there to be a gap between filter segments.

Nice!
:cool:

bradl
08-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Similar to the VT2 technique for those of you who don't have VT3 yet. Difference is you have to cut and paste the filters by hand, but frankly, only takes a few moments to paste up a ton of em...
Save the filter group as a subproject and it can be recalled next time toute suite... (must expand sub to make it function)

GoceN
08-13-2003, 01:55 AM
bradl I know that I use it on my VT2 but VT2 crashes when I copy and paste after one and a half minute on VT Edit timeline so I must to render every one minute in a single clip and continue to paste.

bradl
08-13-2003, 02:21 PM
ouch... not good. To be honest, I had some crashes trying the cut and paste method on VT3. I believe Paul or Andrew said they were working on a strobe button for future release.

gosmond
08-31-2003, 06:08 AM
RomainR - Thanks for a super tip for the strobe effect. I tried your example and then added another layer of razor cuts on another hold still filter beneath the first (5 frames, mark, 5 frames, mark, F9, etc.) Next rock video, here it comes...

Works perfectly and I feel a lot better doing the strobe in post it gives the strobe effect without the blurring produced by reducing the fps while taping. I don't always want the blur. Other methods are usually too slow in post as well.

I made the mistake of trying the effect on a 10 minute piece of video. I brought up task manager from Windows and watched the performance. My dual Xeon's went up to about 70% of usage which is fine, however, my memory usage crept up to 1GB and then 1.3GB and then VT[3] would no longer respond, since I only have 1GB.

I don't think I will ever have the need to do more than a few minutes or less in any video, so this is a minor point for me. However, for the programmers that might read this, It does seem like the REPEAT and RAZOR CUT routines in the Toolshed are calling themselves in the program (recursion). This would account for the incremental use of memory?

Anway, I can see the toolshed gettin' bigger 'n bigger'. Where's the Lawnmower effect?

Thanks!:D

wvp
08-31-2003, 10:56 AM
thats ashame, I have some music video stuff as well. We like to give it a "film-ish" effect. one way is to use the strobe very (very, very little amount). But the footage is 10-20 minutes long. Another idea I will try is the deinterlace effect (tested this on a short piece)

Bobt
01-17-2004, 07:38 AM
How about
1) Throw BobsStrobeFX filter on the timeline
2) Select length of Strobe from the control three
3 to 30 frame freeze

3) Hit play.

BobsStrobeFX :)

www.toastergarage.com click on the purchase page.
Its ready to go. 49.95 reduce your edit time

Bob

ted
01-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Bob to the rescue, again!