PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Help Please

DHudson
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Hello -
I am having a hard time making my scene look realistic. I am hoping you guys can give me some help with the lighting- because really doesn't look crisp or realistic.

I can't add anything to the room- this is supposed to be a simple room to show the wood moulding.

I am using 3 point lights, and area light and a distant light. I have ray trace on shadows - reflection- and refraction, Affect OpenGL-Diffuse-Specualar on, and this is a rendered at 640 x 480 res multiplier is at 100%, pixel aspect ratio is 1, enhanced medium antialiasing, adaptive sampling is on.

Any suggestions or help would be VERY appreciated.
Thank you so much
DHudson

j0SH
01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
A few things pop right up. Firstly, going by your background image it looks as if the sun it pretty much directly above the house, where your key light (sunlight) should be). I think you might have that, so turn up the brightness.

The other thing to try out is radiosity to assist with realism.

Perhaps the surface settings of your door could be adjusted, like lowering diffuse and adding a bit more specular. Also a bit of a gap between the bottom of the door and the floor would be good. The texture in the rectangles seem to be identicle. I would change that up.

DHudson
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Great suggestions- thank you .. i will try them out now. I will take as many suggestions as I can get.

Thank so much!
DHudson

adamredwoods
01-19-2009, 08:25 PM
- blur the leaves in the window.
- use GI with ambient occlusion.
- add some slight bump noise and specular texture to the walls

Iain
01-20-2009, 03:00 AM
If you want more realism, this is what I'd suggest:

- Ditch Point Lights. You don't need to use cheap fill tricks as radiosity with high quality lights is much faster nowadays.
- Use Sunsky or a nice gradient in the backdrop.
- Use Area Lights with falloff. Inverse^2 at around 2-3m is best but Inverse can often be more successful for various reasons.
- Position your lights following real world logic i.e. one for the sun positioned with Sun Spot at midday (the bigger it is the softer the shadows-6m is good), one in each window to simulate ambient light coming in and optionally one pointing up from the floor or back wall to simulate bounce.

Light colour and shadow casting are scene dependent but generally I have shadows from all lights other than the bounce ones.

DHudson
01-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Wonderful - I have a lot to work with and more suggestions are very welcome .. so many thanks to you guys, jOSH, Adam and Iain. As soon as I have a chance I will post a pic with your suggestions.

Thank you again
DHUdson

DHudson
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Here is an update on the image. The client does not like the door... needs it to be more realistic.

Any suggestions on how I can do this- I would even purchase a better door- but I have looked all through the different services and can not find a simular door for sale.

Could it be the lighting is not right? Or does it need to be glossy/

Please help ... Also- any other suggestions for the scene would be MOST appreciated.

Thank you!
D.Hudson

BigHache
02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
The surfacing and texturing on the door could be more realistic, yes. Also, to me at least, the door knob might could use some help. For things like that I usually will find an image of a real product I like and model that.

Take a look at something like this for texturing ideas on the door. Your frame and mouldings look good but the door seems a bit flat.
http://www.188door.com/en/img/product/2007107221321.jpg

DHudson
02-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Thank you for your thoughts, BigHche. Great idea on following an image. I see the textures going in different directions and a glossy finish.

Much appreciated!