PDA

View Full Version : Point animation question for L[8]

iFX
08-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Going by what I saw on the Siggraph streams, I'm very excited about L[8]...

However, I'm a little worried about the implementation of the point animation -
Everyone seems very excited about that feature... and though it looks great for deleting and fixing up particles in partocle simulations - I'm wondering how well the implementation works for other things they were showing...

from the demos I saw, it seems that to get point animation to work, you first have to run a simulation on the area in order to "bake" the point motion - which seems to create a keyframe for EVERY frame - then you can edit the position of the points, frame by frame - sounds ok, but I hope it's not required to have it keyed on every frame... the examples showed moving a point one frame at a time, creating very jumpy animation -

Generally when we animate, we create keyframes and the computer fills in the rest, editing EVERY frame gives you a stop motion look... Proton said he was fixing the squashing under the characters arms that was caused by forgetting to set up the weight maps correctly - however is this really a feasible way of fixing it? as the resulting animation (after adjusting the points) just looked like the character had bugs crawling under their clothes... I'm hoping this was just because he was rushing it and not because it had to be keyframed frame by frame on every single frame...

I hope we are able to delete some of those frames in between the changes we want, so that the changes can be smoothed out...

This will make the difference between it being more of a gimmik or something that's truly useable in everyday situations... either way the other stuff I've seen from L[8], It's still going to be a great upgrade :)

papou
08-12-2003, 02:18 AM
ye....i'm disapointed too... but for everybody, it sound amazing...so i tought it was my poor knowlage of english...
ok we can move point after running simulation, cool, but a frame by frame tool like i saw seem to be unuseable.

geoff3dnz
08-17-2003, 10:55 PM
I suppose you'll have to go to the graph editor and reduce the keys that way... assuming you can. Otherwise, a key on every frame is going to be useless. :)

evenflcw
08-18-2003, 12:14 AM
The dstorm site seems to be down right now, but I do remember reading that their EditFX plugin (which let you move and delete individual particles, and alter MD calculations on a point by point basis) had a smoothing option. So hopefully it's just a matter of selecting what channels and frames to smooth over and giving a strenght value for the smooth.

Castius
08-18-2003, 06:29 AM
If you got the demos of the dstorm plugins you wouldn’t have many questions. Edit FX rocks. One you can edit point by point or you can have an area of influence like a drag net tool. Second you can animate frame by frame or have your changes take effect over a certain amount of time, or just effect all keys. You will have no problem creating smooth motion.

Scott

Ps: This is not he best place to post questions.

Psyhke
08-18-2003, 08:50 AM
The EditFX stuff sounds good, then. But I wonder, is it the same thing as the object point-level animation? I'm talking about non-particle or motion-drive effects-- just straight editing of a meshes points....

hrgiger
08-18-2003, 10:06 AM
I would assume that if the points are keyframed then everyting that is available through normal keyframing via the graph editor still applies. I don't know though. I hope it's a easily useable feature because point animation is long overdue in layout...

iFX
08-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Castius, thanks...

I'm very relieved to hear that.
- and you're right - I haven't played with the EditFX plugins - but I definitely will now (the next chance I get) ;)