PDA

View Full Version : Maya MEL Programming

inquisitive
01-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Greetings,

I know know, but I have to ask ;)

Is this book still relevant in terms of learning MEL (Complete Maya Programming: An Extensive Guide to MEL and C++ API) Just want to familiarize myself with this. Also can the personal Maya editions process/use MEL scripts or only the real program?

Is there some other book to consider?

Thanks

Disclaimer: I own vt5, LW3d v9.5 etc.

3DGFXStudios
01-18-2009, 05:49 AM
You should ask that on the Maya forums not the Lightwave forums... LOL ;)

cresshead
01-18-2009, 07:45 AM
i don't think you can write mel in maya ple but then again maya ple is now not available and has been replaced by the fully functional 30 day demo of maya unlimited so all depends on what your using...the maya ple based on maya 8.5 or the 30 day demo of maya unlimited based on maya 2009 unlimited.

also yeah...this is a forum for lightwave!...maybe ask more details over on www.cgtalk.com

kmacphail
01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Actually, MEL is 99% functional in the PLE versions of Maya (I think the C++ API is too, but I can't say for sure). As for the book, it would still be very relevant as MEL doesn't change drastically from version to version (I have Vol 1 and 2 on my bookshelf at work).

Cheers,

-Kevin

inquisitive
01-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Thank you for the replies.

I wanted to hear from LW users that also use Maya, not from Maya users who dont use LW. (not that it matters specifically for this question)

I think the question is applicable to the general discussion area, along with all the non Lightwave related posts (T mobile ad, legal issues, modo, global warming, flying euro squirrels). :)

I have both the v7 and v8.5 PLE

Thank you Kevin for taking the time to provide helpful information.

MrWyatt
01-21-2009, 04:40 AM
it still applies. Mel is a good foundation, then when you got comfortable with melscripting you can start worrying about python as it is more bolted on implemented. but everything you can do in maya is scriptable in maya.

go for it.
:D

PS: there is also a Melscript for animators book that is pretty good I think.