PDA

View Full Version : displacement probs

KillMe
08-11-2003, 05:57 PM
ok i'm confused

i a flat plane subdevided afew times then sub d's turned on import it into layout

set devision order to last and apply a displacement map say a bog standard turbulence

and well nothing happens - yip nah dah nothing - i'm sure i did think before upgrading to 7.5c and pretty sure it worked

has somethign changed as my install of 7.5 got messed up???

evenflcw
08-11-2003, 07:44 PM
I don't know what your bumpmap settings are, but you'll probably want subdivision to occur before the displacement, not the other way around.

With SubD order set to last, you displace the geometry first, then subdivide. What your doing then is first displacing the few points in your lowpoly cage, then bumping the possible detail your mesh could show. In this case the added detail in the SubD mesh will only help smooth things out giving you a less jaggy look. Even with extreme values you'll only be able to get a very smoothed out shape with no detail, and bumping the SubD level won't do much more than add to the rendertime.

With subdivision set to occur before the displacement it will increase the number of verteces in you mesh first, then displace all of them instead of just the points in the cage. Naturally then the SubD level turns into something which you could use to control the detail level.

EDIT:
This got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool if we could do several subdivision passes? Like subdivide to level 5, add some displacement, then subdivide to level 10 just to smooth out the results. Probably one of those fundamental-enough-to-require-a-total-rewrite-requests. :-/

KillMe
08-12-2003, 06:45 AM
sadly doesn't work withit set to before either =9 something must be wrong - going to have to try reinstalling i think

evenflcw
08-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Could you show us your settings and a bit of teh object? Seems strange that it shouldn't work at all. I know LW has some issues with normal displacement, but even they give you some feedback (although incorrect).

hunter
08-12-2003, 05:18 PM
SUB-D should definately be set to first, and , depending on the size of your object the texture value may have to be set at insanely high levels, say 10,000 or more.