PDA

View Full Version : Basic Modeling Questions

kojean
01-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I have a a few questions that come to mind as I'm working through books and tutorials.

1. Is there a way to specify a number of degrees when initially creating a ball/sphere object, perhaps with the numeric input panel?

For this object, I created a basic sphere then deleted polygons. Is there a way to start out with a dome shape or "pac-man" without deleting polygons?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68327&d=1232214665

2. What is the easiest way to create the shape below as a 2D planar object?

I tried creating a ball, then deleting the bottom half and moving all the points into a planar space, but I didn't get the equidistant concentric segments.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68328&d=1232214673

Thanks for your help.

Hopper
01-17-2009, 11:13 AM
1. No. The easiest way is to create your sphere, then use the rotate tool and dial in the degrees manually.

2. Create a disc, select all edges, extend (e), then use the size tool while holding the Control key (making sure your Action Center is set to "Selection" (menu at bottom of your 4 views). To make them even, you can make sure you are snapping to the grid and it's cake.

Note: If you absolutely feel the need to make a pac-man like object without first making a sphere, you can always create a spline then go about it the hard way and use the lathe tool. This method would be highly discouraged.

SplineGod
01-17-2009, 02:46 PM
You can also create a flat hemisphere as a single polygon and lathe it into your pacman shape.

kojean
01-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Hopper and SplineGod, thanks for the tips. I'm just trying to get a handle on the best ways to approach the creation of different shapes in LightWave. My first guess isn't always the most efficient, so it's a great help to have your experienced advice.

markschum
01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
The flat disk I would try making a disk the outside diameter, then use the pole tool, then try bandsaw at 50% a few times .

The partial sphere I did by making a disk, deleting half the points to make a semicircle , and then lathing it .

kojean
01-18-2009, 10:17 AM
The flat disk I would try making a disk the outside diameter, then use the pole tool, then try bandsaw at 50% a few times .

The partial sphere I did by making a disk, deleting half the points to make a semicircle , and then lathing it .
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try these as well and see what works best for me.