PDA

View Full Version : Help with Maestro! Please

mektawik
01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I am trying to learn to to rig in Maestro. For this purpose I am using the model "male" and the standard biped rig. I import them both to layer one in the modeler, and send them over to layout. In layout I bring up the Maestro launcher and press the button that says Default under Biped. I get an error message which says "Incorrect skeletal structure detected." What am I doing wrong?

dballesg
01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi,

In your Maestro2/Content folder you have a male.lwo that has the skelegons on the same layer, you can use that one to test the Default rig.

Are you on 64 bits? If it is so, sent an email to eric or Maestro and tell them about the problem, sometimes the LScript of 64 bits has broke Maestro and Brian has provided me a corrected one. I remember see that error on 64 bits many times.

David

ericsmith
01-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I emailed you back about this as well. Did you get that message?

At any rate, my first guess based on what you've said is that you copied and pasted the skeletal structure from "skeleton-biped.lwo" and everything from "male.lwo" into a new modeler file. The thing is, the "male.lwo" object already has the skeletal structure in it, so adding it again makes two copies of every bone. Then, in Layout, when they are converted, every bone has a "(1)" or "(2)" in the name, and this means that when the rigging macro tries to select a particular bone (without the "(1)" or "(2)"), it can't find it.

Eric

mektawik
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes I did, thank you.

mektawik
01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Ok, now that I have my character working, how do I import a rigged Maestro character into another scene?

ericsmith
01-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Well, this can either be very simple or somewhat complex. It kind of depends on the nature of your scenes and whether or not you did a lot of tweaking to the character in Layout (as opposed to tweaking skelegons, creating weight maps, etc).

In general, I try to do as much as possible to set up the character so that once I hit the rig button, it's ready to go. This means getting the skelegons just right, and adding extra hold bones and/or weight maps in modeler. Sometimes there's a bit of back and forth, where you run the rig, test it, go back to modeler and tweak a bit, and then re-load and re-rig until everything works just right.

But once you get the character model to this stage, you can load it into any scene, run the rig in Maestro, and you're ready to go.

The other option would be to use "Load from Scene". The fact is, however, that Load From Scene will basically clear out all expressions, making them simply "Value", so what you'll need to do is load the scene you want the character in INTO the scene with the rig, rather than the other way around. Overall, this procedure is probably not as effective as what I mentioned above.

Now looking at the big picture, I'll share a bit more about my overall workflow. I try to keep elements as modular and portable as possible. So I'll start by creating an animatic scene with simple proxy objects, and I'll rough out the blocking of the shot(s) in that scene. Then, I'll copy that scene, and bring in just one character, rig it, and then animate it to go along with the blocked out proxy of the character. Once I'm done, I'll export an MDD scan of the character. I can repeat this process for as many characters as are in the scene, and I can import the MDD scanned character from the first character into the next, and so on. So the final character will have all the rest of the characters in place, fully animated, and playing back pretty fluidly (due to the fact that the other characters don't have any rigging). Finally, I'll go back to my original animatic scene, import all characters with their MDD data, bring in the full res set objects, and I can go to work with lighting and rendering.

The nice thing about this approach is that each scene is only a small, manageable part of the bigger whole. And at any point, I can bring elements in to other scenes (for example, if I animate the second character, and realize that I need to go back to the first one, I can import the second character back into the first scene through MDD).

Eric

mektawik
01-23-2009, 03:05 PM
For some reason thought when I bring the Maestro character that I am working with into my scene and press the button for the default rig, the program crashes. Why might this be happening?

ericsmith
01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't have any immediate ideas on what might cause that.

If it's practical (and there are no NDA issues, etc) email me the scene with all the elements and I'll try and duplicate it on my end.

Eric