PDA

View Full Version : Legal Issues

m4a2000
01-16-2009, 02:29 PM
My boss just handed me a hornet’s nest on this one. He wants me to ask around on how other schools and districts deal with their video content and the internet. We have been asked over the past three years to post our content on the internet (YouTube), but standing policy is no. Reason one is we might get sued for posting video of some student which their parent does not want their face to be in the public… The standard stuff really.

What is your work’s policy on this?

DiscreetFX
01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Why don't you just have the parents sign a release?

m4a2000
01-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Why don't you just have the parents sign a release?
We do have a release, but we have our sports events, monthly magazine shows, daily news cast, concerts, est... And we don't know which students are on the release and which are not at all these events in a district of over 10,300 students.

We have a 24/7 channel which goes out to most of the county. My stance is we should post limited content since we already have the channel and soon we'll have content local On Demand. However, my boss and the community relations people at the district think it could cause lawsuits. Their asking the bigger districts in the state (Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane) what their policies are and I'm checking all the places I know around the net...

There is no method to check what students have OKed forms on the school level... We have to get a hold of the district and ask. They are working on getting that fixed soon. Also, we have years (10+) of content we want to post, football games, special events, and many of the people in those programs do not live in the area any more so they can't sign a release form...

I really don't know what to do on this and neither does my boss. Any policies you have I would love to hear of them.

DiscreetFX
01-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Well for our documentary "Oil Change" if they don't sign a release we don't use any footage of them. Simple as that for us. Most people like the fact that they are in a video or movie and might get their 15 minutes of fame. If they don't there are plenty more that don't mind.

lwanmtr
01-16-2009, 05:36 PM
As long as you arent showing them at a recognizable level, it's ok. It's if you are going to show their face that you need to get a release signed..specially if it's going to be broadcast. If all you are showing is the football team, for instance, you should be ok...but if you show closeups and such of the audience...well, you get the idea.

MMI
01-16-2009, 09:18 PM
This is a real "sticky wicket" these days because if you broadcast a sporting event at your school, your also broadcasting the OPPOSING team, IDing players by name with CG and/or commentary by a voiceover announcer. Every player on the field is a minor. Think about those legal consequences for just a moment!
On the flip side however, local TV news channels are constantly featuring HS sports coverage with great HD closeup visuals, stats, the whole deal and with no legal problems arising.

Keep us posted as you dig deeper into this one. Inquiring minds want to know!

BigHache
01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
You could do what Universal Studios in Orlando does: Post a tiny sign at the entrance (after you've bought your ticket of course) that basically states by entering the park you agree that if they take your photo they can use it for self-promotion and is effectively a model release.

m4a2000
01-17-2009, 05:38 PM
You could do what Universal Studios in Orlando does: Post a tiny sign at the entrance (after you've bought your ticket of course) that basically states by entering the park you agree that if they take your photo they can use it for self-promotion and is effectively a model release.
That sounds good. I think that would work on the high school level, but that still doesn't cover our 12 years on old content. I'll run this buy my boss.

Dexter2999
01-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I am pretty sure that HS sports events qualify as "news" events are exempt from talent releases. As another poster pointed out HS footage makes the local newscast.

Close ups of the audience are another matter. Who was at the game is not news.
So if you have audience shots you may need to re-edit.

And as to the poster who commented about posting footage of minors...I would also avoid posting footage of cheerleaders.

Hopper
01-17-2009, 08:30 PM
And as to the poster who commented about posting footage of minors...I would also avoid posting footage of cheerleaders.
Well of course. That's just common sense. Everyone knows that footage goes into the "private stash" for later.