PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #21-Transportation

Iain
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #21
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

BlueApple provided this week's topic:

Subject - Transportation

The possibilities are endless really. Old, current, children's, futuristic etc. As usual, off the wall entries are welcomed.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

R.Feeney
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I havent been around for quite a few of the challenges recently.
So here is something a little bit silly.
About 45 min for the modeling, The character in it is not part of this attempt he is just for scale.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68281&stc=1&d=1232081031

Nangleator
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Heh. Good one. The fuel balls look a little small to me, but I love the concept and the textures.

Did you rig this thing?

Dreamer
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Simple, and not a gas guzzler.

R.Feeney
01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Heh. Good one. The fuel balls look a little small to me, but I love the concept and the textures.

Did you rig this thing?

http://www.vimeo.com/2856071
:D
The fuel balls were a last minute addition to hide the fact that the legs are not attached to the body at all.

Cool Scooter Dreamer:thumbsup:

Kuzey
01-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Oooooh...I might have to join this one :D

These are great so far :thumbsup:

Kuzey

BlueApple
01-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice entries so far.

Didn't think I'd finish a whole bike in under an hour, so I stuck with the chain. 10 minutes modeling, 15 minutes setting up in Layout.

flakester
01-19-2009, 02:24 AM
Awesome work so far everyone!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

flakester.

Oedo 808
01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah, nice work so far chaps, I hope to chime in on this one too.

adamredwoods
01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
A steampunk propeller car.

Modeling took the full 60 min, there are mistakes where I didn't have time to fix.
GI+FFX grass all done in LW 9.6

about 10m render on AMDx2.

colkai
01-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Great concept Adam!

Kuzey
01-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Ah...it's Tuesday already, I was hoping to get something done.

Nice work Adam....were you going to add any wings or a balloon before you ran out of time :D

Edit: I just noticed it's a car :)

Kuzey

colkai
01-20-2009, 05:41 AM
I've got a render done but it only finished as I were heading for bed last night. Plus, think I want to spend another 5 mins adding a little tweak to the geometry too. Nothing fancy, hey, it is me after all! :p

adamredwoods
01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Edit: I just noticed it's a car :)

Kuzey

Yes, it's a car, which you can see where the original came from:
http://www.paris-walking-tours.com/images/artscar.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! The true beauty of the render was getting the FiberFX grass to look nice, then to use radiosity on it!

Kuzey
01-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, it's a car, which you can see where the original came from:
http://www.paris-walking-tours.com/images/artscar.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! The true beauty of the render was getting the FiberFX grass to look nice, then to use radiosity on it!

That's so cool...a real steampunk car.

I must try FiberFX one of these days :thumbsup:

Kuzey

R.Feeney
01-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Right up to the wire on this one, stopped at 60 min with lots left to do.
I did no real surfacing, just messed with the render for that old time look.

Nangleator
01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Okay, Futurama-style space ship.

I bow to the people who toon shade things like this well. I gave up on BESM and went with the SSS node.

44 minutes modeling.

(Great work all! That Zep puts me to shame, Feeney.)

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Trans1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Trans2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Trans3.jpg

R.Feeney
01-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Well it was either that or a skateboard or pair of skis.

I was tempted to try a spaceship myself but they never seem to work out right for me.
I like the look of yours, the render style suits it perfectly.

BlueApple
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Feeney, your model kills it. That is a great piece of work.

R.Feeney
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Blueapple :)

JCG
01-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Tried this because it's parked right next to my house. Just didn't expect to run out of time quite so early on.

colkai
01-21-2009, 02:46 AM
Never got around to it last night, but currently rendering the revised one to see if I like it more. (Not much of a revision, just a tweak).

Anyhoo, here we go, I think we've all tried this form of transport at some point. :p

Took around 20 minutes, maybe 25 to model. Textures I shamefacedly admit taken from my own set of presets, (I'm rubbish at texturing and rendering, what can I say?)

flakester
01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
An entry of homage: Red.

The full sixty minutes on the model ~ and there are still things I'd like more time on (and better reference images!)!

Model attached too, should anyone feel the need.

Absolutely fantastic work from everyone so far, especially liking Colkai's skateboard and Feeney's Airship. :thumbsup: Great stuff.

flakester.

Kuzey
01-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Man these are good and all coming on the last day.... :thumbsup:

I tried to do a steampunk airship last night but it didn't work out.

Kuzey

Dreamer
01-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Love the floor on the unicycle. Is it all nodes?

Nangleator
01-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah, the render on the unicycle rocks. The fork looks like it has SSS. It looks yummy. And the floor is so appropriate.

flakester
01-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Love the floor on the unicycle. Is it all nodes?

No, sadly!
I've not quite got my head round the black art of node usage yet - think I might need to lock myself in a dark room for a weekend with a few video tutorials on that subject.

The texture for the floor is a recurring thing in many of Pixar's works; the ball in Luxo Jr, the floor in Red's Dream, and others - it probably appears more than I know.

Yeah, the render on the unicycle rocks. The fork looks like it has SSS. It looks yummy. And the floor is so appropriate. ;) :D

Cheers for the props folks.

flakester.

colkai
01-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Ok, late I know and really only a subtle change on the struts, but I do prefer it I think.

adamredwoods
01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Nice work everyone!

samartin
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Damn this looks like fun!

I'm going to be a little cheeky as I can't get my head around modeler anymore but any chance of me taking part sometime with MODO being the modeler and then using LW to finish!? I use this method all the time so my modelling processes have changed somewhat, I think I know the answer but worth asking...

Anyways some really nice work here peeps :)

Hopper
01-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh it's always a fun party until someone uses the "M" word...

adamredwoods
01-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I would say you can enter, but just mention you used Modo, as you can't "win" since that would be cheating. It's mostly a "what can you model in Lightwave" contest, so the rendering doesn't count.

Now, if someone entered using Anim8tor, I'd definitely let them eligible for winning.

Hopper
01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
or Turtle :D

Iain
01-23-2009, 04:48 AM
Great stuff everyone.

Terrific entries from Flakester, Nangleator and R. Feeney.

BlueApple will judge when ready :thumbsup:

BlueApple
01-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Great entries all around, but R. Feeney takes it this time. Well done.

colkai
01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Well done R.Feeney! - Congrats. :)

R.Feeney
01-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys :)
just wondering which one won the walker or the airship.
If anyone wants the files I will upload them later today.

BlueApple
01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
The airship was what did it for me :)

flakester
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
!w00t!

Congrats R. Feeney, well deserved.... for which ever entry of yours that won it! (They were both grand!) :thumbsup:

flakester.

Edit:: OK, it was the airship.... I knew that. :p ::

adamredwoods
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Great job! Onward and upwards!

Nangleator
01-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Good job, Feeney!

Oedo 808
01-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Congrats, R. Feeney, a lot of style to that entry. :thumbsup:

I was a bit over ambitious with my attempt for this one:

Ah well, live and learn

Nangleator
01-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Whoah. I was thinking of a train, but gave up. You didn't. Nice start! Keep that one, Oedo.

Oedo 808
01-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks, once I'd made a start with the undercarriage I thought, since when did trains have all this sh1t down there, that's like 5% of what there should be, but I wouldn't have added much more even if I'd been faster. Kind of a good learning experience to aim for a model that's outside your abilities, but this was so far out that I really didn't learn much.

Ha, except perhaps not to be over ambitious . :)

colkai
01-24-2009, 10:15 AM
The worst part is when you start something you think is gonna be simple and end up modelling yourself into a corner. I've just done that and found far too long had passed as I mucked about so had to abandon it. Gosh darn it, I wish my modelling skills were better. :p

Hopper
01-24-2009, 12:20 PM
The worst part is when you start something you think is gonna be simple and end up modelling yourself into a corner.
:agree:

I can't stand when I do that. Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of starting with the details, then get so frustrated I put it away. I guess that's why I could never do this professionally. I'd starve. All the years of object oriented programming have ruined me for this stuff...

R.Feeney
01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68642&stc=1&d=1232833091
I forgot to upload these yesterday, the walker model and scene and the Airship model. I would love to see if anyone uses them for anything.

And thanks for the congrats.

JCG
01-25-2009, 12:12 AM
The worst part is when you start something you think is gonna be simple and end up modelling yourself into a corner. I've just done that and found far too long had passed as I mucked about so had to abandon it. Gosh darn it, I wish my modelling skills were better. :p That happens to me all the time, just that, instead of abandoning it, I go ahead and post it as far as I got. Yes, I degrade the general quality of the thread but people here are very nice about it. Knowing that you will post whatever you have at the end of that hour, no matter what, is a great motivator and it fills those last ten minutes with trepidating excitement. You also develop a full log of your progress week by week.

colkai
01-26-2009, 02:07 AM
:agree:

I can't stand when I do that. Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of starting with the details, then get so frustrated I put it away. I guess that's why I could never do this professionally. I'd starve. All the years of object oriented programming have ruined me for this stuff...

Hehe, you know, it's so good to hear another person say this. (Especially a fellow coder :) ).
You do feel sometimes it's just something only you do, make you feel better when you realise it isn't. :D

adamredwoods
01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Hehe, you know, it's so good to hear another person say this. (Especially a fellow coder :) ).
You do feel sometimes it's just something only you do, make you feel better when you realise it isn't. :D

Interesting comments.

You know, the reason I enjoy these little challenges is for the speed drills-- practice with modeling something quickly. 3D normally absorbs all time you think you have. But this makes me plan efficiently and finish it so it's recognizable. Then afterwards, I can go back and add more details.

colkai
01-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I was saying on Kuzeys Tin drummer thread that maybe a good idea for a thread would be one called "Beyond Speed Modelling" or summat. Where folks post up work that they started off on a speed challenge, or were inspired to re-do an idea from it and took it further. I think it would be fun to see how things evolved.

Indeed, my only true "resolution" this year is to try and go back and finish or re-vamp some old models I've had that I gave up on due to feeling out of my depth. These challenges are certainly driving me to think more, to be honest, it's the only thing that has since finding Treybors Serenity tutorial over at F3D. That in itself says a lot about how successful they are to me. :)

Iain
01-29-2009, 12:25 AM
........ thanks for the congrats.

Any ideas for this week?

R.Feeney
01-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Time. Lots of different methods of time keeping down through the years. Or you could interpret it whatever way you want yourself.

Or over in thread 22 they seem to be crying out for CORE as this weeks topic.

Nangleator
01-29-2009, 07:11 AM
I like time.

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.