PDA

View Full Version : Joint rotation messed up

Thomas M.
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
How do I fix this. After moving the joint around to align them properly with my model the rotation of the joints didn't look right. So I turned the shoulder joint to get the pitch aligned with the arm in a proper way. But somehow all rotatios weren't aligned anymore with the direction of the bone itself (contrary to regular bones). How do I fix this???

Cheers
Thomas

Thomas M.
01-16-2009, 04:32 AM
No one? With bones the rotation angles are always aligned with either the parent or the bone itself. With joints it seems that none of this is the case, at least in my case. But that doesn't make sense, does it?

Thomas M.
01-25-2009, 02:51 AM
O.k., wired that nobody else seems to have problems. What I figured out that Joints aren't that eas to handle as we are made to believe. Placing and adjusting joints even seems to be harder than placing bones, as "Move Joint" and "Move Tip" work with bones, but not with joints. Why the heck can't I use "Move joint". That's annoying. To not mess up joint rotations right now, once they've been placed, I need to change their z-position and the angle of the parent bone to get them into the place I want them to be. That can't be they way. Totally non intuitive and time consuming. Who else can one handle this stuff? Move a joint in x and y positions screws up the rotation angles.

So, what the .... do I need to do in order to run this baby smoothly?

Cheers
Thomas

bazsa73
01-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I can't see the problem from your description sorry, could you post the scene please?
But did you rest the joint after you rotated it or was it anyway deactivated?

Thomas M.
01-25-2009, 01:10 PM
place joints in a rough manner, fine tune them by MOVING them into position, look at the rotation angles. Heading, pitch and bank won't align anymore with the child joint. So the rotation is pretty much srewed for animation or simple posing. The more important question is: WHY DOES MOVE JOINT DOESN'T WORK WITH JOINTS???

Thomas M.
01-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Hello??? Nobody using joints and having the same problems? DOES MOVE JOINT WORK WITH JOINTS WORK FOR ANYBODY??? Here handles appear, but I can't move the joints. Is that my fault or a general problem?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

geothefaust
01-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey Thomas, I don't know how I didn't see this thread before. :o

Unfortunately the bone tools there don't work quite properly with Joints, just Zbones at the moment. It's a known limitation that couldn't be solved in the current cycle due to limitations in the core. However I am sure this will not be a problem in the next iteration of LW (10).

One of the bone tools that DOES work with joints, is the tool that you need! In answer to your original query: About aligning the pitch. You need 'Bone Twist', set to CTRL + K by default. Just keep in mind you want to use this on the _parent_ of the bone you want to rotate the pitch of.

I do believe this should solve your problem.

As for moving joints, the best way to do that is to have a hierarchy of joints attached to a null (just parent to a null after setting up your rig) and then moving the null into position. I've been doing this a lot anyway, as now you can have nulls in a hierarchy of joints/Zbones, and easily move things around like this.

Hope this helps, also, if you have more trouble, please post a scene and I'll take a look at it. :)