PDA

View Full Version : is AutoDesk buying or bought Valve ?

OnlineRender
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I know autodesk is set to takeover the world and buying anything related to animation of vfx "come on Lightwave u can do it .... "

The reason im posting, i have been working with hammer and xsi developing a game with a few mates of mine "lazy days "
and the software is now autodesks assocatied.
#
some informative people i know are now saying that autodesk are buying over valve , have i miss heard or am i starting a rumour if so im sorry people ..

Peace "dont eat the yellow snow"

JohnMarchant
01-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I hope they are not. Ive also heard that Foundation are no longer being given access to Autodesk Tech because they make Nuke and its in direct competition with Autodesk Toxic.

I see this as an opportunity for NewTek and Lightwave

Lightwolf
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I hope they are not. Ive also heard that Foundation are no longer being given access to Autodesk Tech because they make Nuke and its in direct competition with Autodesk Toxic.

That's "the Foundry". ;)

I suppose it makes sense though. Having said that, they could change their license agreement to not allow the Foundry to use any knowledge gained from the Toxic SDK in Nuke... and then sue the hell out of them if they do.

Cheers,
Mike

JohnMarchant
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Sorry Yeah Lightwolf, had foundation on the brain. Its a shame but they certainly dropped the price of thier max plugins on that news.

You are right, i just think its a bit bully boy tactics like you said they could have an NDA on the SDK.

Matt
01-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Buying Valve? As in the games company? I hope not, so far I've managed to be Autodesk free!

jin choung
01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
sounds bogus.

valve used xsi for their sourceengine games and xsi is now autodesk so there's a natural relationship there.

but that would be like saying ilm uses maya, maya has an autodesk connection, is autodesk buying ilm?!

jin

DiscreetFX
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Thought Google was buying Valve.

OOZZEE
01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
anyways... companies spending too much go POOF eventually cause all of a sudden everybody is buying the better less expensive more productive products and the big spenders cant pay the bills anymore... so let them buy whatever and if you really dislike them, just stay away from what they buy.... I think it's going to hit them really hard one day !! IMHO... I vow not to spend any more money on their crappy buggy products....

Cageman
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
but that would be like saying ilm uses maya

jin

To be totaly honest... that is a stretch nowdays. ILM has replaced huge chunks of Maya with their Zeno software.

It was quite funny when ILM was here (of course, an Autodesk event)!. The ILM guy had to struggle to mention Maya instead of their inhouse tools. *lol*

jin choung
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
To be totaly honest... that is a stretch nowdays. ILM has replaced huge chunks of Maya with their Zeno software.

It was quite funny when ILM was here (of course, an Autodesk event)!. The ILM guy had to struggle to mention Maya instead of their inhouse tools. *lol*

what department was he from? if he's management, there may be a disconnect between what the their press releases say and what his people actually do.

i know a rigger at ilm and he uses maya everyday to rig characters. they may WANT zeno to eventually be their everything but they still do a lot of the basic work in maya.

and the last time i read cinefx, there were PLENTY of ilm nods to maya.

there seems to be this lightwaver NEED to say, to believe that maya really isn't everywhere that it is... but really... it IS.

all the stuff about proprietary software and stuff... nobody's denying they exist but they're usually "higher level". if you need to do the basic work of modeling and rigging and most of the time, even animating, you're doing it in maya.

jin

Cageman
01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
what department was he from? if he's management, there may be a disconnect between what the their press releases say and what his people actually do.

Oh.. he was a supervisor. He talked alot about the Pirates movies... when he had time to work himself, particle effects was what he did mostly.

i know a rigger at ilm and he uses maya everyday to rig characters. they may WANT zeno to eventually be their everything but they still do a lot of the basic work in maya.

Again, pretty much everything he showed us was Zeno. There were some Maya screens as well, and most notably was that alot of the UI-ideas of Zeno are more or less a copy/paste from Maya.

and the last time i read cinefx, there were PLENTY of ilm nods to maya.

there seems to be this lightwaver NEED to say that maya really isn't everywhere that it is... but really... it IS.

I tell you what I saw, nothing more, nothing less. I use Maya all day long, thank you!

all the stuff about proprietary software and stuff... nobody's denying they don't exist but they're usually "higher level". if you need to do the basic work of modeling and rigging and most of the time, even animating, you're doing it in maya.

When they shot Pirates they mocaped "in camera". As far as I remember, Zeno was used for that as well. The tentacles of Dawey Jones was a hybrid system of simulation and animation, also something they used Zeno for. Pretty much everything worth talking about regarding pirates ended up being Zeno.

That does not rule out Maya, but that presentation was funny on so many levels; it was an Autodesk event, not a Zeno event.

jin choung
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I tell you what I saw, nothing more, nothing less.

not exactly. if you were talking about one presentation how could i take issue? you extrapolated a larger conclusion which is what i was objecting to.

To be totaly honest... that is a stretch nowdays.

and i'm saying it's NOT a stretch. as i say, my friend uses maya everyday for rigging on a show that is in production now to be released in the near future. i am not lying. i am not making it up. i don't work for autodesk. that's just what the fact of it is.

i am saying that if all of a sudden, every copy of maya disappeared from ilm right this moment, there would be chaos. it would not be "nobody knew it was gone because the entire pipeline is zeno".

jin

cc3d
01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
anyways... companies spending too much go POOF eventually cause all of a sudden everybody is buying the better less expensive more productive products and the big spenders cant pay the bills anymore... so let them buy whatever and if you really dislike them, just stay away from what they buy.... I think it's going to hit them really hard one day !! IMHO... I vow not to spend any more money on their crappy buggy products....

well rounded business analysis there :eek:

OnlineRender
01-15-2009, 01:01 AM
lol , " i started a joke that got the whole world crying " the irony of it all ..
sorry people it is Google thats buying valve and there talking about making it open-source the only draw back is that advertisments might be seen in game .
either way ,whoever buys whatever are starting a monopoply and its wrong , mind you if had 300 billion to spend i would start a war .

lightwave/newtek has the correct idea , get good at something and make it better .

cresshead
01-15-2009, 07:46 AM
sorta related...
autodesk have just given away softimage C.A.T free to all 3dsmax users on subscription
...i really must get round to installing max 2009 now as i have a good reason to do so and play with c.a.t

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_ken/blog_detail/announcement_free_cat_for_subscription_customers/

OnlineRender
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
lol , " i started a joke that got the whole world crying " the irony of it all ..
sorry people it is Google thats buying valve and there talking about making it open-source and on portal to Linux , the only draw back is that advertisments might be seen in game .
either way ,whoever buys whatever are starting a monopoply and its wrong , mind you if had 300 billion to spend i would start a war .

lightwave/newtek has the correct idea , get good at something and make it better .

www.youtube.com/onlinerender

google is buying and open source portal to linux

Medi8or
01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
www.youtube.com/onIinerender

google is buying and open source portal to linuxWhat does your youtube page have to do with this?

OnlineRender
01-16-2009, 06:17 AM
nothing ......just like adding random links

DiscreetFX
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Autodesk stock has lost 64% of it's value over the last year, they lost their CEO to Yahoo and they just laid off 10% of their workforce. I think their buying spree is over for now.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2009/01/15/autodesk-technology-software-markets-equity-cx_cg_0115markets17.html

A Mejias
01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
To be fair, their stock going down is no surprize. Almost every stock has gone down big time.

DiscreetFX
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Autodesk does not own any toxic mortgages, a 64% drop is major even in the current market. They also lost their visionary CEO to Yahoo, not good new for AD.

geothefaust
01-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Great! Consider that the tranquilizer for the 800lb gorilla. Now all we need is the poachers to net it up and ship it overseas to be put in a zoo, or for "herbal remedies".

richcz3
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Autodesk does not own any toxic mortgages.....Nothing is free from this expanding economic gloom.
Toyota - 1st quarter loss in 70 years.
Intel Profits down 90% - 1st reported loss in 22 years.
Globally- credit has dried up. Even companies/corporations in good credit standing are only getting incremental support from lending institutions.

What may hurt Autodesk is if their purchases were heavily leveraged buyouts. If their buyouts of Maya, Mudbox, and XSI are being paid taken against future earnings. Then they may find themselves needing to hatchet more jobs or worse spin off the least effective parts of the company.
The spectre of reduced license renewals wouldn't bode well in that instance.

If thats the case I'm thinking Autodesks ex CEO (Carol Bartz) more than welcomed the flight out of Autodesk

Nigel Baker
01-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Yes, I just heard to that AutoDesk has laid off over 700 staff.
I was wondering myself was this a sign and have they over stretched themselves.
it turns out also that the boss who has just laid off all those staff has also for himself
just got awarded several million dollars bonus. Just does not add up.
Could you imagine being one of the staff and in the same stroke hearing what your boss got.
Just does not add up.

Regards,
Nigel