PDA

View Full Version : zbrush to lightwave

cresshead
01-14-2009, 04:39 AM
hi just started looking into zbrush to lightwave and have found this video

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Trial/Videos/zbrush-nodes-aps.mov

is there any info/videos on how to setup zbrush for export to lightwave for displacement maps and normal maps anywhere...proton's vid just covers the idea once you have the map not how to generate it over in zbrush..

i know there are settings particular to apps so was wondering if anyone would like to share their workflow/settings if poss ...would help loads for my cartoon book project!

thanks in advance!:):lwicon:

note i'll be using lightwave 9.6

The Dommo
01-14-2009, 04:50 AM
looking into this myself pretty soon

StOuen
01-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Check out http://www.stevewarner.com/ is pretty much the def guide.

I have been exporting all kinds of maps to Lightwave using the issued node setup and have not had any probs.

cresshead
01-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Check out http://www.stevewarner.com/ is pretty much the def guide.

I have been exporting all kinds of maps to Lightwave using the issued node setup and have not had any probs.

thanks for the link:thumbsup:

just had a quick scan thru the pdf ad flash tutorials and they seem yo be based on zbrush 2.0 and lightwave 9.0, i'm windering how many [if any] gochas there will be trying to follow along with zbrush 3.1 and lightwave 9.6 inregards differences in general and missing/changed u.i layout over in zbrush..

are you using zbrush 3.1 and a recent version of lightwave following these tutorials?

thanks in advance:)

cresshead
01-14-2009, 08:30 AM
cheers chap...you da man!

StOuen
01-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I am using Zbrush 3.1 but Lightwave 9.3.1. I have not experienced major problems other than the ususal considerations that are documented already such as flipping the UV's on map export. If you refer to the Pixologic guide: http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/ZBrush_to_Lightwave still done by Steve but must be OK. Otherwise, for the latest info check here: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=173

BTW: Good choice. This is a app I use for relaxation as well as work!

bobakabob
01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
thanks for the link:thumbsup:

just had a quick scan thru the pdf ad flash tutorials and they seem yo be based on zbrush 2.0 and lightwave 9.0, i'm windering how many [if any] gochas there will be trying to follow along with zbrush 3.1 and lightwave 9.6 inregards differences in general and missing/changed u.i layout over in zbrush..

are you using zbrush 3.1 and a recent version of lightwave following these tutorials?

thanks in advance:)

I'm using ZB 3.1 and LW 9.3.1 with no problems. Steve Warner's tutorials are very clear and informative. For renders in Lightwave it's best to generate a displacement, normal and bump map from ZB.

There are lots of threads on this if you do a search... a few of us uploaded files on this one
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85885&highlight=Zbrush

Chris S. (Fez)
01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
If no one else has done it by then, I'll try to post a quick and dirty LightWave -> ZBrush 3.1 -> LightWave workflow when I get home. I won't go into ZMapper, but just explain how to get a quick and perfectly usable displacement map out of Zbrush and in to LightWave, using .obj and 16-bit .tif files for the exchange.

Workflow tips would be most welcome.

Intuition
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Although its no problem to setup a zbrush displacement node network I have wondered why newtek doesn't just build a "Zbrush" node that has all the needed values in a single node?

Matt
01-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Although its no problem to setup a zbrush displacement node network I have wondered why newtek doesn't just build a "Zbrush" node that has all the needed values in a single node?

Often thought this for the ZBrush users out there.

Either what you've suggested, or a pull down menu of node templates that has everything in there ready to be connected up for various things.

cresshead
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Often thought this for the ZBrush users out there.

Either what you've suggested, or a pull down menu of node templates that has everything in there ready to be connected up for various things.

yeah would be really nice to see...maybe preset central could help here and could host presets for zbrush, mudbox and 3dcoat imported models for use for displacement and also normal mapped models.

also in regard nomal mapping does that now work okay with animation...i remeber waay back in lw7 days that normal mapping didn't work on deformations back then.

bobakabob
01-15-2009, 12:50 AM

Agreed, it would be a more elegant solution, especially for those users new to nodes in Lightwave. Still, it doesn't take long to create the node manually.

grimoirecg
01-16-2009, 04:34 AM
This is where 32 bit floating point displacement maps from mudbox makes things a lot simpler. They are absolute values, so you just need to plug it straight into the displacement node to get the same result as you see in mudbox. Takes a few seconds to set up the nodes, and no messing about with numbers..

Emmanuel
06-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Mice, but doesnt help zBrush artists in any way.