PDA

View Full Version : Can you run VT[4] in a window?

stevenrblake2
01-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I am new VT user so any guidance is appreciated. Can you run VT in a window, instead of full screen?

I want to run it alonside a few other applications from the same computer. The computer will basically be AV control for VGA switching and video switching for Webcasting of both video and PowerPoint.

I am not to worried about system resources because VT will only be doing straight cuts between a few cameras.

If I can't miniimze it then maybe I'll need to look into the Toasterscript that i read about.

Also on my

PIZAZZ
01-14-2009, 07:55 AM
While not necessarily considered running in a window as you would do a normal Windows program, VT can be confined to one monitor in a multi monitor setup. I have a couple clients that run VT on Monitor one, Easy Worship GUI on Monitor 2 and EasyWorship's VGA output on Monitor 3.

You can also Alt Tab back and forth between programs but keep in mind the VT's focus will need to be in front for keyboard shortcuts to work, including most ToasterScript. You can however control VT with a RS8 or LC11 without the software being in focus.

Hope that helps.

stevenrblake2
01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks Jeff,

That makes me wonder if I can use my existing show contorl software to emulate rs8 commands. input1 to main, input1 to main, etx..

Thinking out loud... I think the RS-8 is really a serial emulation device via USB but I guess the driver might provide some kind of software translation layer that I wouldn't have in show control. Or is does it require a driver?

I am trying to keep this Webcast rack as mobile as possible. I saw some of your other posts so if you have any suggestions, I appreciate any direction. I think I have what I need to stuff it in a shuttle case. I have to take a look at BobFX's plugin for a 3rd preview, but my card is actually vt2 with vt[4] sw so I wonder if it even it has a 3rd input.

The VT card is a bit overkill for what I am doing but I inherited it and want to get to know the platform. I struck out when I looked for a 2/3/4 input PCI based s-video switcher/frame sync. I guess you can count me in for one more vote for that s-3 tricaster breakout/daughter card being made available for the VT cards.

PIZAZZ
01-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks Jeff,

That makes me wonder if I can use my existing show contorl software to emulate rs8 commands. input1 to main, input1 to main, etx..

Thinking out loud... I think the RS-8 is really a serial emulation device via USB but I guess the driver might provide some kind of software translation layer that I wouldn't have in show control. Or is does it require a driver?

I am trying to keep this Webcast rack as mobile as possible. I saw some of your other posts so if you have any suggestions, I appreciate any direction. I think I have what I need to stuff it in a shuttle case. I have to take a look at BobFX's plugin for a 3rd preview, but my card is actually vt2 with vt[4] sw so I wonder if it even it has a 3rd input.

The VT card is a bit overkill for what I am doing but I inherited it and want to get to know the platform. I struck out when I looked for a 2/3/4 input PCI based s-video switcher/frame sync. I guess you can count me in for one more vote for that s-3 tricaster breakout/daughter card being made available for the VT cards.

I have looked into doing what you propose and it is not easy in any shape or form. What software are you using for Show Control?? If you are using anything that outputs midi then you can use Dhomas Trenn's midi plugin that talks directly to the VT modules without using keyboard shortcuts. I am a reseller and user both of Youngmonkey's stuff.

With your VT2 class card, you will only be able to see 2 video streams coming in and 2 out with a SX84. So Bob's stuff will not help you there. I am not sure if he is even selling his addon cards, I haven't heard anything from him in months.

Have you heard about these little boxes (http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/) ?? They might be just the thing for your live switching needs.

Lay out exactly what you are trying to accomplish and maybe I/we can be of better help.

stevenrblake2
01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
At least now I know what to expect. I won't kill myself trying to do anything unsupported. My control does not use midi but maybe Dhomas Trenn's tcp/ip program might work, or maybe the old serial control software is still floating around.

I have looked at the Tricaster but I will wait until they can do HD before I spend the money. 1/2 my switching is from VGA sources (projector feeds) to VGA capture cards. The other 1/2 is traditional camera sources/destinations and that is what I am looking to the VT for. I wonder if their HD version will support 2 seperate program outs 1 SD and 1HD.

A brief outline of my requirements
- Destination will be 2 proprietary Webcast encoders - primary/backup + optional ISO or program records on the VT
- Sources - 1-3 cameras and 1 VGA scan converted to video (composite, s-video, or component)
- Portability - I check this thing at the airport as luggage.
- Previews on the VT- 2-4 + optional 1 for program - always on top
- Othe software - Also need to run show control to send serial/tcpip commands to VGA matrix/switcher + opther utilities on occasion
- 1 button cuts to sources 1-4

Might try use a USB 4 channel capture device to lay previews over the VT sw. I have to figure out how to force them to stay ontop. Maybe a custom DirectShow graph could do this.

Questions/thoughts
- Can VT preview and/or iso record more DV sources than it can analog/Bob?
- Any plugins allowing serial control from the VT desktop? I saw a PTZ camera controller plugin out there.
- How hard are these plugins to create?
- Do anyone OEMs use the VT platform and the SDK for their own custom applications?

Snu
01-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Might try use a USB 4 channel capture device to lay previews over the VT sw. I have to figure out how to force them to stay ontop.

i know its possible, i have a super-old (win98 days) program that lets you set windows to always on top (among other things), and i have used it to put windows on top of vt4/5 on occasion.
its not the most user friendly piece of software, and you can probably find better programs out there, but if you want it i put it on my website temp dir:
http://www.snuq.com/temp/SliceWinLight.Exe

- How hard are these plugins to create?

i dont have any idea, im kinda curious about it too... but if you have some programming experience, you might try messaging bob tasa (the bobfx guy) about it ( http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=8053 )

stevenrblake2
01-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks Snu for the "always on top" plugin. I'll try it out.

I ordered a usb 4 channel video capture device. Once it comes in I'll try turning it into a cheapo preview. I might try TViewer.exe to display each input. We'll see how it looks. I am not expecting much for quality or fps. I'll post back for anyone who is curious.