PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave with Aqsis?

MutenRoshi
08-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Has anyone tried to render Lightwave scenes in Aqsis?
If so, what conversion tool did you use?

I know there is Lightman, but it is lacking features and there seems to be no further development at all, judging from their mailing list. There is also this older japanese(or whatever) plugin, which is also dead.

I think it would be nice if we had an really integrated Renderman exporter in LW[8] or the point releases. This would be an easy way for Newtek to please the the people who are screaming for a better renderer.

They could even put it on the lightwave cd, as it is open source!
:)

Here is the homepage:
http://aqsis.sourceforge.net/

Titus
08-12-2003, 09:25 AM
I don't know if you are the same who posted a similar question in the aqsis forums. I'm writing (very slowly) an exporter calledLight-R (http://www.deathfall.com/article.php?sid=1985).

KenM
08-12-2003, 01:42 PM
The two main features that attract me to Renderman export are custom shader models and micro-pixel displacement. Does Aqsis support displacement?

Cheers!

MutenRoshi
08-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Titus:

I hope that you will have success with your exporter.
Light-R is really great!:)

And if you don`t plan to make money from it, then you could also make it open source.:D

That guy posting in the aqsis forum wasn`t me.

KenM:
Yes.
http://aqsis.sourceforge.net/features.php

milkman
08-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Making it open source could potentially speed up development quite a bit.

I am very interested to see what happens with this project.

Titus
08-12-2003, 03:35 PM
MutenRoshi: Then there many people getting interested.

My plan is to make Light-R free and add at least the same features that the discontinued plugin LtoR had. It is a good idea to make the source code open.

Aqsis is becoming mature and is very close the first stable release, and yes, it does true sub-pixel displacement.

tjnyc
08-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Aqsis is as close to PRMan as you can get over all the other Rman renderers. It has fast motion blur and true sub-pixel displacement are. Aqsis Motion Blur seems just as good in quality to PRMan, but not as fast as PRMan. It still has some issues and bugs though, but it is a very promising renderer to seriously consider for production.

regards,

- T

EyesClosed
08-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by tjnyc
Aqsis is as close to PRMan as you can get over all the other Rman renderers. It has fast motion blur and true sub-pixel displacement are. Aqsis Motion Blur seems just as good in quality to PRMan, but not as fast as PRMan. It still has some issues and bugs though, but it is a very promising renderer to seriously consider for production.

regards,

- T

I thought Pixie is the closest to PRMan. :confused:

tjnyc
08-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Pixie is nipping at the heals of Aqsis, but it's motion blur isn't really up to snuff yet. Both are based on Reyes like PRMan, but Aqsis has been in development for 5 years and it is pretty stable and is faster than Pixie. You can also setup Pixar's MTOR and Alfred to work with Aqsis.