PDA

View Full Version : Multiple copies of the same object in Layout

Paul_Boland
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Folks.

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. Let's say I create a sphere in Modeller, save it and take it into Layout. If I want to have multiple spheres in Layout, but each a different colour, do I have to save multiple copies in Modeller, each with a different texture name, or is there a way in Layout to load one sphere object and copy it many times, each copy being unique?

Sorry for these newbie questions but we all had to start somewhere.

AdamAvenali
01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
i have always copied the object in modeler and put it on a different layer and named the layer accordingly. i am unaware of a way to do it in layout, but it would be nice if a guru could let us know if there was to save some time :thumbsup:

*Pete*
01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
you can load an object, rename its surface, load the same object again and then you have two identical objects with each its own separate surfaces.

Matt
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
To have different surfaces each object needs to be its own. The surface names can be the same as they will appear under each object, and can be textured uniquely, but the objects must be saved under different names.

Cloned objects which have numbers after their names are copies of the original and will have the same surfacing.

RollerJesus
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
HD Instance will do this as well. As many copies as you could want.

Sensei
01-12-2009, 05:06 PM
You can download TrueArt's Node Library, add Extended Item Info and use Index node input as argument to f.e. Gradient node to color clones independently..

adamredwoods
01-12-2009, 05:40 PM
You can download TrueArt's Node Library, add Extended Item Info and use Index node input as argument to f.e. Gradient node to color clones independently..

Interesting approach. I knew HDInstance was one way, but wasn't aware of the Extended Item Info.

Good to know.

cresshead
01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
should be a Lscript for doing clone but new surfaces maybe?

BeeVee
01-13-2009, 06:33 AM
There's James Willmott's excellent ObjectID node that's free and means you don't need to do any renaming or anything. Now you just need to find it... ;)

B

Paul_Boland
01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.