PDA

View Full Version : Video of Load Items from Scene problem

bugzilla
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
This movie shows the problem I am having loading items from scene in LW 9.5. Does anyone have a fix? Is anyone else having similar problems.

http://digital-sorcery.com/LoadFromSceneProblem.mov

bobakabob
01-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Larry (Splinegod) has said there are issues with 9.5 for Production. This looks like one of them!

LW 9.6 is imminent... by all accounts it is very stable. Your scene files would be a good test for the beta. I certainly hope 'Load from Scene' works smoothly as it's fundamental for animation. I've been using it constantly and have no problems in LW 9.3.1 (which I stayed with even after the realease of 9.5... just because it worked!)

Great rigs by the way. I'm sure you've rested the bones and checked weightmaps are correctly assigned to bones in their original scenes...

bugzilla
01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Larry (Splinegod) has said there are issues with 9.5 for Production. This looks like one of them!

I find it absolutely outrageous that a bug like this found it's way into any released version of any software. It's an absolute killer. This function is so fundamental, it's like having the render engine not work. Everyone keeps telling me to wait for 9.6, but I wonder what basic function will be disabled in that release. If I can get the render engine figured out in Blender I am out of here.

bobakabob
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Agreed this looks particularly nasty but have you tried the scene in 9.3.1? I've found this very stable and a joy to work with. Also does the fault occur in the LW 64 bit version of 9.5?

Have you formally reported it as a bug to Newtek? A while back I had graphic card issues with Preview and after very prompt and helpful tech support it turned out there were faults with the drivers not the software.

I remember how flaky LW 7 Modeler could be... but then there were updates to XP to contend with. I remember IE 4 wrecking my machine and McCafee wrecking IE. All software periodically goes through these phases... it's a tower of cards swaying in the breeze. I've learned to wait awhile to see what reactions are to a new release before commiting to it.

Seems a bit drastic to leave such a great program for Blender. It may have potential but its interface IMHO is horrible, an inspiration killer. Surely it's worth waiting for the free LW upgrade?

Kuzey
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm just guessing and I'll probably be wrong, but were those objects made in LW7.5 by any chance.

If they were, then try the beta and if they still exist....file a bug report :D

Kuzey

Castius
01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd say don't wait for 9.6 go try it now witht he open beta. If the bug is still there report it.

If you can pass me the scene without mesh I'd be happy to take a look and see if i can track it down.

bugzilla
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm just guessing and I'll probably be wrong, but were those objects made in LW7.5 by any chance.

If they were, then try the beta and if they still exist....file a bug report :D

Kuzey

Not at all. Most of these objects were made in the 8 series and early 9 series. Everything worked fine in 9.2, 9.3. Most of these scenes were made in 9.3 but the dragon rig and Zergling rig shown in the video were rigged in 9.5.

Kuzey
01-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Not at all. Most of these objects were made in the 8 series and early 9 series. Everything worked fine in 9.2, 9.3. Most of these scenes were made in 9.3 but the dragon rig and Zergling rig shown in the video were rigged in 9.5.

Well, I would count the 8 series as being similar to the 7 series, they are both old compered to 9.5+ :)

There could be a problem with legacy old Lw formats, I think they were changed at some point or updated in the way they are handled in 9.5 and higher...It's just a guess as I'm having some problems with my 7.5 stuff.
However.....if you want them fixed, the best and only thing to do is join the open beta and submit bug reports with sample scenes.

Time is running out so do it today.

Kuzey

Cageman
01-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Strange...

My codfish rig (the TD-version) (http://www.newtek.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10&pictureid=40) imports perfectly into a clean scene, even with Master Channels intact (release version of LW9.5).

The only thing I don't use with the codfish is IK. No third party tools are used.

bugzilla
01-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Strange...

My codfish rig (the TD-version) (http://www.newtek.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10&pictureid=40) imports perfectly into a clean scene, even with Master Channels intact (release version of LW9.5).

The only thing I don't use with the codfish is IK. No third party tools are used.

AHA! It's the IK that is screwing things up. Imported a couple of scenes with no IK, no problem. Any scene with IK in it comes in with the bones as a complete mess. Just did a test with importing a simple IK chain. The first import works fine, subsequent imports have the IK chain flipped around. Obviously, the IK system has something to do with it.